On HRT but losing weight?

Posted , 9 users are following.

This seems backwards to me but I'm on 100 mg of Progesterone (bioidentical) and .025 Estridiol patch (don't want it going through my liver so I don't use the pill form) but I don't feel like eating or looking at food until around dinner time. I suppose I should be happy at least for that but does anyone else not see weight gain as an issue on HRTs? I seem to have every symptom save for that one unless it's just the stomach upset that comes from menopause but like morning sickness which is what it feels like except I don't have the dying urge to throw up.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

i'm not any hormones (maybe next week; after gyn appt), but i do have the nausea and no appetite.  when i was eating "whatever" it started to make me feel really bad, with panic and hot flashes.  so i think before i eat anything - "how bad is that going to make me feel??"  i supplement my missed meals with protein shakes, or some cottage cheese and applesauce.  i lost weight too, and because it seems "backwards" i don't want to lose too much.  imagine that!!  couldn't lose it before when i wanted to...  talk to your doc if you start to lose too fast. 
    • Posted

Thank you kristi63! It is just like morning sickness for me just not quite as nauseating. Lovely! That was the WORST part of being pregnant for me. Guess it's its farwell hurrah! Protien shakes do sound like a good idea. I do eat healthy as I can when I get hungry. Glad I'm not the only one not wanting eat the house down. I was feeling left out. LOL
  • Posted

I think it might be wise to have your hormone levels run.  Are you taking progesterone every single day or for 14 days of the month.  With adequate levels of hormones you really shouldn't gain weight.  In fact, many woman say that with enough estrogen their extra pounds just fell off.  But it does sound like you imbalanced somewhere.  0.025 is a very low dose patch.  And you mentioned that you are still having every symptom, so that may mean your replacement isn't adequate for you.
    • Posted

Have already had hormones checked when my gyno looked at me after my yearly checkup (which showed everything normal) and said, so what do you want to do about all these dibilitating symptoms?" To which I replied with an awe inspiring, "I don't know. Hormones?" So he throws me on Prempro which I knew nothing about, then raised the dosage until I said, "Ummm," bioidentical please and not synthetic horse urine." Still having hot flashes, dibilitating depression and anxiety which I immediately added an antidepressent for until I could find my hormonal balance. I haven't been on the same dose for enough time to figure out if my body just hasn't come around yet or not. I do feel some improvement. Just found it odd that everyone, including my neighbor going through the same thing are all putting on weight and I'm losing it. But I'm fairly confident it's the lack of desire to eat anything until the evening when I don't have any trouble at all. Just weird. BTW gyno put me on hormones without doing one test. I requested the test. I asked him how he knew I needed or didn't need hormones. His reply, "your age!" Wow, that's an eyeopener!
    • Posted

I agree, 100 mg of progesterone to 0.25 Estrodiol patch seems out of wack.  I use the 100 Estrodiol patch for 3 days and 10mg progesterone (Provera) per day.  I halve it - half in morning and half at night.

What brand is the bio-identical progesterone?  I am not aware that a bio-identical progesterone is made - with the exception of 'wild yam' where the jury is still out on its effectiveness.  What happens to mice does not translate to humans, it seems.

Even though a lot of women swear by it.

Often progesterone by itself is often required peri menopause.

• Posted

I took HRT combined patch Evoril Conti For 13 years and didn't put weight on though breasts were a bit fuller ?Now decided to come off as don't really like taking drugs but felt great on it though only on half a patch for 10 years low dose as thought being a small person half dose was probably enough...Think people may put weight on because estrogen is a feel good hormone ?A bit fed up with hot flushes again for the last 3 months since came off but think I will stick with staying drug free until December and then my doctor very good and she would let me go back on if I chose to.My body my choice and up to me to weigh risks and ask for what I want.
    • Posted

Your age? Wow-not sure I'd continue on with this doctor. I had some blood work along with symptoms to give doctor a clue as to what I needed. And the need does change-so what works awhile ago, may not now. In fact, I'm going in next month as it seems things may need adjusting for me.   

I will say, when I was showing signs of too much estrogen with very little progesterone, I did gain weight, but at same time my thyroid did move into hypothyroidism. Who knows what the cause is as even with the thyroid meds I'm not really dropping much weight here. Boo hiss!

This is an odd time. Not everyone gains weight, so please don't be alarmed. But if you can please find a doctor more willing to work with you on a rational level, Suzy. I am so sorry you are struggling so.

Anniexx

• Posted

Since my recent hysterectomy - which threw me head first into menopause - my appetite is not what it was. (though thankfully in my case, as I am not very mobile at the moment). Gone right off sweet foods - chocolate just doesn't appeal to me at all now, and everything else just seems too sweet!

I would rather not have to go onto HRT. Get night sweats and flushes, but if these are the only symptoms, I will wing it.

So think the change in appetite  has got to be a meno thing.

• Posted

I stopped my HRTs in July due to bleeding but the side effects with some people it can cause weight gain and water retention and stomach issues 

• Posted

You should not have these side effects if you are on bio-identical oestrodiol patches (matrix/dots) or sandrena daily gel.

• Posted

Well you're not going to believe this! At least I didn't. After calling last week to change my 1MG Estridiol pill to a patch so it wouldn't pass through my liver, that's when they put me on .025 generic vivelle dot. I called once to confirm this was correct. "Oh yes," the nurse said. I called today and the nurse said, "OMG! You're on the wrong dose. No wonder you're feeling horrible! Come up tomorrow and I'll give you samples we have of the 1Mg vivelle dot and then you can go get your perscription." Really? Really? Dear LORD! But thank you guys for encouraging me to check that ONE MORE TIME!
    • Posted

Terrible isn't it?  That is why we have to self educate, take responsility, be assertive and persistent.

Most of my health issues have been the result of incompetent drs.  I try to be ahead of them now.

• Posted

OMG! They told me they had me on the wrong dosage of estridol patch. Now on Miniville .1 instead of .025! Wow. Just Wow!
    • Posted

Is the Wow. Just Wow! a reflection of how good you are feeling or how disgusted you are by incompetence?  So glad you took that step and persisted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.