On Klonopin .25 twice daily for a month

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm slowly starting Citalopram and only on 5mg. I can't tolerate side effects of starting very well so psychiatrist put me on Klonopin daily until citalopram starts working. I've been on Klonopin for a month. I probably won't be on 10mg citalopram for another month. I'm sure doc will want me to stay on Klonopin until that happens. So I'll probably be on it for at least two months until I even begin to stop taking it. Should I be terrified of this plan, because I am. I'm so scared of all the horror stories I hear. She says we will taper and I'll be fine. She even suggested me going up to .5 twice a day because I'm having breakthrough anxiety. Anyone successfully been on Klonopin daily for a few months and taper with no issues? I'm super med sensitive and scared to death right now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cheryl.

Don't be scared, you're taking the best action by sharing your concerns and getting support. You're also taking responsibility for your own health and medical care and I feel that more people should do so instead of blindly trusting and not researching their prescribed medications. We'll hopefully find a resolution that you are comfortable with.

Firstly, if you have concerns about a certain med then your doc will have no problem switching it to something else that will help through this transitionary time.

I too have read the stories about Klonopin and other very similar anti-anxiety medication giving people a very, very hard time when they attempt to stop. In my humble opinion, I think it wiser to not use them in the first place, rather than having to go through what could be a difficult withdrawal and bring upon extra suffering and worry for yourself - right when life is challenging you enough. 

As you know, everyone's biology and reaction to chemicals can be different and people can become addicted to a benzodiazepine drug quickly, although you may also have read that some individuals don't seem to have much trouble coming off them at all.  Considering you know you're sensitive to medication then it might be wise to not take a risk and instead go with what your intuition is telling you - that you don't want to be on this medication.

If your doctor intended to use the Ashton Manual/Method to taper you when the time comes to withdraw, then she will be planning to gradually decrease the Klonopin and then switch you to Diazepam (Valium) at some point and have you slowly taper from that.

Here is the Aston Manual: https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

As you can see from the withdrawal schedule (under Chapter 2) 10 mg of Klonopin is equal to 30 mg of Valium.  That is a large amount of Valium, would you agree?  I'm not sure why she hasn't offered you another med to help with the breakthrough anxiety that isn't benzo based first to see if another med will successfully treat the anxiety without having to then experience withdrawal symptoms. Of course, she might not be planning on using the Ashton Manual at all and simply decreasing the Klonopin itself.  In fact, she may never have heard of the manual or have knowledge of how hairy a Klonopin taper can get for some patients. 

Have you tried propranolol?  That is effective when the anxiety symptoms that bother you the most are physical, like a racing heart and shaking hands. You'd be surprised at how many professional and famous musicians use this med for stage fright. I've used it myself and there are no discernable withdrawal symptoms from it (I took 80 mg a day) and it really did work for me.

If your anxiety is really quite bad at the moment and you do appear to need a benzo-based medication, then a much lower 2 mg Valium (even split in half - 1 mg in the morning and 1mg later in the evening) would effectively put that to bed if you've no or not much tolerance to benzos at all. 

There will be more options for your doc to discuss with you until you find something together that you do feel comfortable taking for the next two months or so.  It might be an idea to research antianxiety medication yourself before you next see her. Meanwhile, until you get an appointment with her and if you feel comfortable doing so, I'd nibble a very tiny bit of the Klonopin once or twice a day to tide you over until you get a replacement med. Nibble the smallest amount and 'wait and see' for half an hour and if it doesn't eliminate the anxiety then take another tiny nibble and again wait and see. Hopefully, you won't need more than one nibble and will get to see the pdoc within the next 7 days.

I hope this helps somewhat, Cheryl - Good luck. smile 

Mari

• Posted

Thank you Marianne. I tried propanolol on the past and it didn't help at all. I also tried Vistiril and that made the anxiety worse. I think my doc was hoping once I'm on the citalopram I will taper off the Klonopin. Since I'm only on the .25 it is a low dose and wouldn't be bad. I was hoping she is right but I'm scared and I understand what you're saying. Did you come off Klonopin yourself?

• Posted

She wanted me on the low dose Klonopin because every time I've tried to start an SSRI I can't stand the start up effects and end up having to quit. She's thinking the SSRI will get me stable and I will feel like I won't even need the Klonopin, but being on it for a month already is scary.

• Posted

Saw the doc today. She increased my citalopram to 7.5mg for two weeks then I will go to 10mg for two weeks. Then start tapering the Klonopin. I will have been on Klonopin daily for a little over two months by then. Still scared but she assures me she will taper me off super slow...
  • Posted

I've been tapering off of 1mg.

So far 11 months in and at about 70% complete.

I'll share with you 3 blessings I've found.

1)

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

2) Benzodiazapine recovery Facebook group.

3) http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php

Doctor's have know clue on these Med's on how to get off.

As far as the SSRI, I'll share more on that one if you want.

I had been on 1mg Klonopin for 6 year's for sleep and 20+ year's on SSRI's.

• Posted

I've been on and off (mostly on) SSRIs for around 20 years as well. I've just never been on a Benzo daily and I'm so scared I'll have horrible withdrawal. I had horrible withdrawal from Cymbalta after it stopped working after about 11 years. I don't want to experience that again. My doc pretty much cold turkeyed me from the Cymbalta and it was AWFUL. I have a new doc now and she keeps telling me not to worry since I'll only be on the Klonopin for a few months until the citalopram kicks in fully. It's still terrifying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.