On meds for my anxiety but recently I can’t get death off my mind. Will this pass?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Always had periods of anxiety but it peaked at the end of last year and now ive been on mirtazapine for just over 2 months.

the last couple of weeks, thoughts of my own mortality have been really playing on my mind. sometimes it really hits and causes a bit of a panic attack but most of the time it just sits there. things like ageing and looking around at other people and just thinking that me and everyone else isnt going to be here one day. it just seems to be constantly on my mind and its starting to make me feel more low than i was. has anyone experienced this? will it just pass or should i try doing something about it and if so, does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks everyone

jon

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Sorry you are going through this and I know the anxiety that it can cause. I’ve been through that also.

Those thoughts about dying are very common, especially in people who already have anxiety. Anxiety tends to put negative and scary. Thoughts into our mind.

Everybody thinks about aging and it’s just some thing that we have to accept. It’s part of our journey here.

The main thing is, we cannot allow that to ruin our days because then we are not enjoying our life now in the present.

I used to worry so much that I never enjoyed my daily life. So I decided enough is enough. I’m going to enjoy every day and be grateful for everything in my life. I started noticing things that I am grateful for such as the beauty of nature, my family, laughter, joy,. Those are the things we should focus on because I learned that once I stopped enjoying my daily life I could never get any of those days back!

Why waste our days with fear and anxiety ? when it does absolutely no good.

some things that have helped me are...

1. Getting regular exercise. This really is great because it releases good hormones in the brain that calm you down.
    2. every day I would think of things that I am truly grateful for. It’s amazing how many things you can come up with. Even little things like having a roof over my head, etc. did you
    3. Letting go of thoughts that are negative or scary and replacing them with happy joyful thoughts and grateful thoughts.
    4. when I help other people who are less fortunate than myself, it gives me such a great feeling, and also a feeling of purpose in my life! Volunteering is awesome.
    5. we can either age do feeling anxious and fearful and waste the life we have or we can age with joy, purpose, happiness, and really enjoy our life.
    6. I will send you a private message.
    • Edited

I found this so helpful as I also suffer with the same intrusive thoughts.

thank you

• Edited

Hi there,

I had a really bad period with that when I turned 30, I was always thinking what is the point? I also had the thing about looking at people and thinking we will all not be here...I would say it was bad anxiety mixed with a bit of an existential crises. Even though it's a really horrible feeling, if you don't try to fight it and you accept that this is just a period you're going through, it will eventually pass.

I just turned 50 recently and I'm getting these thoughts a little again but I don't take much notice of them and they don't interfere with my life too much.

Don't worry, this will pass, you will not be stuck with these thoughts forever.

Wishing you the best x

• Edited

Hi

thank you for replying.

its a relief to know that someone has experienced something similar as i find it all too easy to fall into the hole that im the only person like this.

ive had similar thoughts before but about 12 years ago. so ive been trying to tell myself ive got through it before but i just keep gocusing in the fact that another 12 years of my life has gone since then!

i dont know if its because ive entered a new decade or if its just my anxiety as it peaked at the end of last year.

i hope like you that my thoughts on this start to leave my mind as it seems to have just taken over recently.

Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch.

i really appreciate that.

Take care

jon

• Edited

HI Jon,

I have been going through this since I was young I've had anxiety and panic attacks most of my life too im now 43 and its still always on my mind I have days when it goes away and then It will come back and hit me again and it stays with me for days and my anxiety is through the roof i cant cope with it...I look around at other people thinking they ain't bothered they are getting on with life and I cant get it out my head but I'm sure everyone does think about it at some points but because I have anxiety mines a lot worse i think about things deep and work myself up i still have to find a way to stop this.... I cant talk about it to people I don't know if I'm embarrassed to spk or them thinking I'm mad... I had councilling for my anxiety and couldn't tell the councillor about it i don't know why!..I just been hoping it will just go away as time goes on but I've been like this for years I do regret now not speaking to them because they may have helped me I would suggest talking to a Councillor or maybe your doctor who can put you in touch with someone if this has only recently started you can get help and get it sorted.

• Edited

hi kelly

sorry to hear that you experience something similar as i know how exhausting and scary it can be at times. its happened to me before on and off and once for a few weeks when my anxiety hit a big high when i was 28. its just lingering in my thoughts right now and has been for a couple of weeks. im already taking meds for my anxiety so just feel like its a massive step backwards. especially as it seems no matter how hard i try, these thoughts still remain very present in my mind.

i just hope that it passes soon so i can feel like i can get through a day without it consuming my thoughts.

i hope it becomes easier for you too.

• Edited

You most certainly are not alone, you would be surprised at just how many people have them, just that not many talk about them.

I know because my two best friends are psychologists/therapist and they tell me loads of people have these thoughts.

The less you fight them the sooner they will go away. Easier said that done, I know.

Rather than thinking: if I don't think about it, it will go, If I don't think about it it will go...

It's better when the thought come to say to yourself: ok, I'm going through a period where I'm having these thoughts, but nothing lasts forever, not the bad things, not the good things, nothing.

I hope I'm not sounding preachy, I'm just sharing what has worked for me in the hope that it can help you.

Best x

• Edited

oh not at all.

thats why i posted on here to see if anyone with similar experiences could give any insight into what may help.

it does feel tough though. i keep having a fleeting second or two when it feels im getting out of this lull but the smallest thing sends me right back again. i guess its just perseverance.

hopefully i can get back to not having this constantly clouding my mind as im sure you know how exhausting it can get.

thanks again for getting back to me though. it does help just knowing someone gets where youre coming from.

• Edited

Hi Jon, i know this post was two weeks ago but I'm hoping you see this message. Have you ever researched ocd? obviously I'm not a doctor but this sounds similar to what I was/am going through although the 'theme' is different. This might be worth looking into especially the intrusive thoughts that come with ocd, its constantly on your mind with a lot of 'what if' thoughts. I hope this helps and I hope you feel well soon. Tina

• Edited

hi Tina

thank you for reaching out and replying. i always check notifications and it is always nice to see when people take the time!

ive never thought about it in an OCD way at all. but im going to have a look into this as its literally been circling in my head pretty much all day everyday for getting on a month now.

im sure you know how exhausting things like that can be!

thank you again though - and i hope that youre doing well

jon

• Edited

Im glad you saw my message! it really is exhausting isnt it, it seems that death is a pretty common fear theme with ocd as well. Ive found that a combination of fluoxetine and cbt therapy had been helpful, the intrusive thoughts are still there but its easier to deal with them logically rather than irrationally. I really hope you get some relief soon. Take care

Tina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.