On metx injections, week five - nausea returning...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, moved from tablets to the pen injections and thought the nausea and fatigue was gone as I've had four good weeks. But this week has not been so good. I have been more active though so don't know if its just that I've over done it... any thoughts?

Also had a steroid shot back in feb so it could be that this finally ran out!

Jo

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Nausia is a side effect from methotrexate often because a prescribed folic acid supplement must be taken along with this. Methotrexate depletes fuc acid and also lowers the immune system. Did your Dr prescribe folic acid as well? If the folic acid doesn't take care of this, the nausia typically means you this is toxic for you, and like with many others including myself, decide it is not beneficial. I have read that approx only 30% respond favorably to methitrexate.
  • Posted

i must be one of the lucky ones on methotretate, i have fatigue but only feel slightly sick now and agin. im on 6tabs weekly with folic acid and i take them them religiously at the same time every week. This is the the 3rd dms ive taken but seem to worse on them. Why do you have the injections instead of the tabs? is it cause of the sickness??

• Posted

Injections are supposedly absorbed into the bloodstream better, as the stomach acids don't have to break it down this way. Side effects are the same according to research.
  • Posted

yup - couldn't tolerate the tablets - kept being sick/feeling nauseous - and yes on folic acid every day except the day I take Metx. I stopped for a month before the change over (from tablets to injections). 
  • Posted

Hi. It has been suggested that I move onto injections. I have a flare every 5 weeks and I'm on 20mg methotrexate. I have steroid injections but I've had 2 this year already and they don't want to give me many more. Do injections keep the disease under better control? Methotrexate isn't working for me but I have to jump through a few more hoops to get onto biologics. 
    • Posted

They say more of the drug gets into your system with the injections but its a bit early for me to tell if they actually work for me. I thought that it was all working well.. but back to tired and nauseous at the mo... who knows with this thang! I've only had one of the steriod injections - ohhh I felt good! But they said three max a year so I need to wait for another one. How close together were your two?
    • Posted

Hi Jo 

i went to see my rheumy nurse on Friday and she has put me on injections starting Monday. Also had my bloods dine again but because I've had so many blood tests my veins are starting to harden so they are getting sore. Found out that the disease is still active so fingers crossed the injections sort it out. I had 2 steroid injections in 6 weeks so I wasn't allowed another one unfortunately. 

• Posted

Hello everyone new to all this but I was given this drug and stopped taking it as it was making me feel really bad I was pale all the time And more tried then normal I have got to go back the 22 nd of April but I am going to see if then can give me another sort, hope they do, them seriod injections are good wish I could I have another one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.