on mirtazapine for 3 weeks but I can't function

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I've been on mirt 15mg For 3 weeks now for depression and weight loss. I lost my mum in march and I'm a single mum of 3 teenage boys. I was fine and then in august had a complete breakdown and not been to work since. The mirtazapine helped sleep for first couple weeks but now I'm waking several times and am like a complete zombie all day unable to find energy to move an my mood has gotten low again (seemed to lift first couple weeks) also I'm only hungry later in the day and then I want everything. Can anyone tell me if I still need to persevere as I don't want to be as depressed as I was thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

To me it sounds as if you are under medicated. 15 Mirtazapine is a low dose. I felt herself better on 45 mg but then still wasn't functioning properly. My psychiatrist put me on 150 venlafaxine as well and I have been on that combination since August. I am in my 70s so what is right for me won't be alright for you but I would definitely go back to your docter andvask for a review. I waited six weeks before I went back and was told if it was going to work it would have done so in 3-4 weeks. I also haven't suffered any weight gain, my appetite is normal. My sleep still isn't particularly good but better than it was. Hope this might help. Christmas is a stressful time and I expect that you would have hadvsupport from your mother and may be missing her more just now.Maggie

• Posted

Thanks I saw the gp on Monday but she said to give it another couple of weeks. I was currently on dosulepin 75mg as it was no longer having an effent and was slowly taken off that over two weeks at the start of taking mirtazapine. I just feel almost drunk all the time
  • Posted

Usually after a couple of weeks the zombie like haze of mirtazapine seems to lift. Also if it is going to work, it usually makes a change to depression very quickly. The fact that yoou felt better to start with but then not so much may mean you need a higher dose. I felt lots better on 30mg than I did on 15mg.
    • Posted

Thank you. I will ask the doctor what she thinks when I go at the start of January. Does the drowsiness lesson on the 30mg just don't want to feel more drowsy
    • Posted

People say 30mg is less sedating than 15 although by the time I was put onto 30mg the drowsiness had worn off. I don't remember being extremely drowsy after two weeks though, just a bit groggy in the morning. It should wear off for you.
  • Posted

I.m the very same as you 6 wks on 15mg after 3 months on 7.5mg, I.m waking 3,4 times a night and have no energy to do anything doc told me to go up to 22.5 mg but am afraid of the side affects starting again no appitite during the day but come evening time I can't stop eating and feel more energized, I.'ve two children and have no interest in Christmas at all feel so bad on them, really thinking of knocking them on the head wasn't this bad before I started, and I should also mention I get a lot of back pain and hip pain on these tablets and a burning sensation in my mouth 😔
    • Posted

Hi I get the back pain too! But it's the stupid lack of energy I could lie on the sofa all day! It's nit until about 6 7 ish that I get energy and appetite and by then I have to take a tablet again! Then I spend evening eating heaps of rubbish and crave sweet stuff. I don't want to stop them because at my worst I wanted to die and they have taken the edge off that. I just want to be the old me I was couple of years ago 😢
    • Posted

Maybe we should up the dose and see if it helps my go told me the lower dose is more for insomnia and people who struggle to eat, I.m the same constently on the sofa or bed not getting any exercise because I don't have the energy for it I use to work out 3 days a week. I have to say this site is great and its really helped me more then the tablets I think at times but they only thing really keeping me going is my children xx
    • Posted

I haven't been to to up the dose yet amd don't see gp till Jan 9th so until then I have to just do what I'm doing and hope x
    • Posted

Hi April how are things?

Did you up the dose. I can't lift my mood at all. It's horrible I really thought this drug would get a handle of the depression. It's the black cloud and the more you sit around the darker things seem and you bring yourself down even further x

• Posted

Hi hun no not yet I.m getting up and getting out everyday don't really want to go up as of all the aches and pains I think I.m getting from these tablets I seriously considering cutting down and coming off them, it's a horrible disease but just wake up early morning and thank God you've made it through another day xx
  • Posted

I agree with some of the others; you may benefit by taking more mirtazapine.

• Posted

You sound like a prime candidate for weight gain Kelly. Try to get on top of the pm cravings before they get hold of you. I so wish I had known what these tabs could do. I am severely over weight and wishing I could undo what they have done to me. The excessive weight brings a misery all of its own.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine yes I wasn't eating and I'm 5'3 and weighed 7 stone although this wasn't to bad a weight for my height I looked gaunt and anorexic. I desperately wanted to eat but the depression had its claws deep into me amd decided to leave me no appetite. My dietician advised me to eat whatever amd whenever I wanted to build me up. I want to persevere with tablets as I'm scared I go back to serious depression and not eating just want the energy side to get better x
  • Posted

Hi kelly. I know it's really hard to judge if your medication is working or not. But really watch mirtazapine. All these signs you are seeing are the same things I suffered with and after taking it for a year I am off it. Hated it. My only savour was starting duloxetine along side of it. I know some people on here love the stough and everybody is different. But I wish I had never gone on it.

I hope you have better luck. Sarah. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.