on my own

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone else prefer to be alone rather than in company?I can bee having a relatively descent day then when the family are due to return home from work etc. I start to get really anxious and cant wait for them to go to bed, dont get me wrong I love them all dearly but I dont know where this nonsense has come from, I seem to be getting odder by the day,, I really dont think that can be normal, most people look forward to spending time together with their families but not me, what the hells wrong with me?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm the exact same. If family come over I feel like I'm neglecting them but its the only way I can feel better. Once they leave i'm fine again. I'm just trying to push myself to do it more to build up what I can do, hopefully it works
  • Posted

Yes me too. Some of it is because by nature family causes stress and a bigger work load, sometimes I feel I can't keep up with it. I do a schedule...so I know I have time with each member for a certain amount of time. Then I give it my all. I live alone now so that's the good news. Just don't ignore them because that in itself will cause more anxiety...like them not being there for you.

so spend 20 minutes with each and then without guilt you can shut the door. That is after you have done the dishes 😆

• Posted

Perfectly "normal" for a lot of people.  I love being away on holiday, because then no one can make any demands on me.  However we cant ignore people (well we can but its not the best way, and not if its your children, bros, sis,) so as someone else said its a matter of doing what you can cope with, and if people think you're odd, so be it.  I've always been like this.  i remember when my sister visited i used to make an excuse to go into the kitchen and swallow a valium pill lol. that was when i was 20 something, i am now 63!  however, i do find the more I try the more I can, bit like CBT.  But I am not a person who likes company all the time.  i love my family and friends, but I love loads of time alone too.  so just accept who you are.  the only option is to stress yourself too much.  life's too short....
  • Posted

I am the same , I am sure I love my family and friends but I really prefer my own company and my parrots as I could not do without them! I dont do Birthdays or Christmas either , I feel people cost me peace of mind and cause me anxiety and I really get uncomfortable around folk even the ones I know

• Posted

Alot of people have commented and said they are the same (as am I)

Can you see that what you thought other people would think wasnt accurate, and then you started to question yourself because of this?

A CBT method of dealing with this would be to ask yourself whether your thought is fact or opinion. In that way you'd realise it was an opinion and not go on to beat yourself up or worry that you are getting odder.  smile

If it was me, I wouldnt worry about that thought. Thoughts are thoughts and you don't have to wonder about the ifs, whys or worry about them. This si worrying about worry and will not make you feel better. Don't rise to thoughts like this. If you continued to allow the thoughts and not react to then, I am sure the anxiety would go away. That is my experience. Now I have no anxiety when my partner comes round xx 

• Posted

Yep, this is true too . Its like a self fulfilling prophecy. You expect to be anxious and not enjoy it sothats what happens. Maybe deliberately avoid thinking about it before they come. Who knows what could happen. But dont beat yourself up for how you are. I wont! We are entitled to be who we are, well as long as we're not nasty! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.