On pain medications forever?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. My first post. I am Type 2 diabetic, 70 years old.I have had peripheral neuropathy for about six months, caused by my glucose levels getting way out of control for a few weeks. My neurologist prescribed three medicines: Pregabalin (Lyrica) 50mg twice a day; Nortriptylene 25mg once day; and tizanidine 2mg twice a day. The pain receded and after a few months went away when I was standing still, sitting down or lying down. The pain would come back if I walked more than a few metres at a time. I am still taking the same regimen. My doctor said I should stay on this regimen for a few years or longer (unless it causing me side effects). I cannot find anything on the Internet about for how long I should expect to be taking these medicines. Is it common for people to take these medicines for a period of years? Might I need to take them for life? My glucose levels are under control now (and have been for a while),  Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Besides the keppra I am on for ceizures, my neurologist put me on carbitrol, 200 mg 2 times a day, nortryptylene 25 mg once at bed and he wants me to do the lidocaine patch because I also came down with sciatica.i am also on gabapenton100 mg 2 times a day.  I have been on lyrica, celexa and Cymbalta but those 3 drugs were no good as they caused more pain. I go see my new primary care dr in 2 days and might ask him about the possibility of trying the tizanidine and see what he says
    • Posted

Hi again, I have to go to my prescribing Dr. every month to get the opiate based drugs. There are many restrictions in place for the prescribing for these types of pain medicines.  I don't mind as I understand the necessity of these restrictions. The tizidine is a muscle relaxer that I use for helping me get sleep. Paininsomnia!  Oh great, something else to have to deal with!!! At any rate, sure hope all goes well for you, hugs and best wishes. Buy the way I think your country is just so beautiful, people too! I am assuming you are in the U.K. I love using the internet to look at the pictures I can find of your lovely country. Love, love the castles, gardens, I even enjoy the tv show we can get here where to be brides are shopping for wedding gowns. 🍀??🌼🌺🌸🥀🌹🌷

• Posted

Unfortunately I do not live in the UK but would love to visit there someday! I live in Vermont, where do you live?
    • Posted

Hi, live in Florida and just went thru Irma! Wow it was a nasty experience! Lost pool screening but other than that ok. Lucky, we just missed Harvey, more luck! We are near the NASA cape canaveral, the way the coastline lies is a protective barrier so far. That jutting is why the space center is located there. Bye for now.
  • Posted

Hi David, I have neuropathy caused by nerve damage. I am on morophone 5mg, cymbalta and tizindine. I expect to be on medication for the rest of my life. My issues will not heal, do you know if your issues are permanent or not. I am grateful that I have acsses to these meds, without them my quality of life would be exhausting and so hard to handle. Don't know if I could to that misery forever. I have come to regard the medications as the only hope I have for some enjoyment daily. I hope that you will always have the option of medications that help you have as normal a life as possible. It takes a lot of soul searching to know the meds are your friends and to not feel guilty for the need to have them in your life. I hope this helps you and I send a hug and my best wishes your way. 

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. I very much like the friends bit. I sometimes get a bit upset about my reliance on medication and have been low in spirits (a nicer way of saying depressed!). I am having to come to terms with having permanent life affecting conditions. Idiopathic at age 67!
    • Posted

Hi Martin, I sure do understand being depressed! Knowing that this way of life is your "new normal" is just so hard to accept. I am still mourning the loss of me, and I have been at this for a long time. It is OK to be mad, sad, angry and scared, it really is the "new me" yikes this just stinks!! I have a pity party for myself every once in a while, wish I could say it helps. Acceptance sure is a struggle. I read an article that helped me, the jest of the text is: you are now a WARRIOR! You fight everyday all day to find a way to deal with health issues. So, be proud that you are doing as well as you can and I sure hope your heart will find some comfort cause this sure does cause a lot of turmoil. Sending a hug and a 🌈🕊🌷

• Posted

Again, thank you SO much. Your words are a tonic, balm to a wounded soul!
    • Posted

It seems like you can get pain drugs better than in the US, sometimes I wish I lived over there
  • Posted

Hello david,

Please read my new post on milk thistle..it might help in your situation.  I'm type 1 for over 38+ years and found a natural cure for my neuropathy pain.  Hope it can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.