On recovery, with some bad side effects :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all! So i have been going through a really tough time since about july. I had been diagnosed with an eating disorder after an appointment with the doctor where i am down to 44.5kgs. I am trying to get back to about 48kg. It doesnt sound like i lost a lot, but i am a very small frame already and quiet short, so yes, this was a dramatic loss on me. Anyway, i have definitely realized over the past few months that i was not being healthy and i got down to too low of a weight, so im trying to recover. I am now at about 45.5-46kgs. this is good news! although, i have been going through terrible constipation (which over the past week has actually become a lot better thankfully due to prunes, upping my fibre and overall intake and dandellion tea at night- i reccommend!) although, i am always sooo bloated. this has really emotionally gotten to me because i used to never bloat so now im really uncomfortable. its going to be summer soon and im going to feel so insecure in a bikini if im bloated, im worried it will get in the way of my recovery. When i bloat its obvious because the rest of me is so thin so i look funny. Does anyone know when the chronic bloating will stop after meals? Or how i can reduce it, tips, tricks or just foods to stay away from? it would mean so much to me! I also am just wondering, foods i should be eating to gain weight but in a healthy manner. thanks to whoever answers this. I just need some reassuarance i guess, but also some legitimate advice and honesty. smile

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is it possible you could get ensure plus milk shake drinks from your GP.

I was in your situation and was at great risk of malnutrition through lack of eating and ill health.

I went to. Sevenn and a half stone and am 5fy 5.

I am 9 st 10 now it took twp years to reach this weight.

Try your GP or ask to see dietician xxx

• Posted

I've been through the exact same, if fact your story relates to mine quite a lot. I went down to 39.4kg which was obviously a really low weight to be at when you are 14 and 5"6. I went to a dietician and I am now recovering, 50.2kg (age 15 almost 16) and really happy. All I can really say is, yes it is hard. Yes it will take it out of you and sometimes you may feel like your getting no where. As for your constipation, it's a common side effect, don't worry.just keep eating your fibre and prunes smile the bloating is also normal, because you deprived yourself of food and nutrients for a while. It will stop soon, it's just your body thinking "Yayy! Food!" Try and stay away from eating to many sweets and junk good, although it will help you gain weight it will make you bloat more than other foods may. Fruit is good, and pasta and rice which contains carbs. Milk too for protein. Nuts if y
  • Posted

I've been through the exact same, if fact your story relates to mine quite a lot. I went down to 39.4kg which was obviously a really low weight to be at when you are 14 and 5"6. I went to a dietician and I am now recovering, 50.2kg (age 15 almost 16) and really happy. All I can really say is, yes it is hard. Yes it will take it out of you and sometimes you may feel like your getting no where. As for your constipation, it's a common side effect, don't worry.just keep eating your fibre and prunes smile the bloating is also normal, because you deprived yourself of food and nutrients for a while. It will stop soon, it's just your body thinking "Yayy! Food!" Try and stay away from eating to many sweets and junk good, although it will help you gain weight it will make you bloat more than other foods may. Fruit is good, and pasta and rice which contains carbs. Milk too for protein. Nuts if you aren't allergic like me aha. Don't know if any of that helps or whatever but there you go. If y
  • Posted

I've been through the exact same, if fact your story relates to mine quite a lot. I went down to 39.4kg which was obviously a really low weight to be at when you are 14 and 5"6. I went to a dietician and I am now recovering, 50.2kg (age 15 almost 16) and really happy. All I can really say is, yes it is hard. Yes it will take it out of you and sometimes you may feel like your getting no where. As for your constipation, it's a common side effect, don't worry.just keep eating your fibre and prunes smile the bloating is also normal, because you deprived yourself of food and nutrients for a while. It will stop soon, it's just your body thinking "Yayy! Food!" Try and stay away from eating to many sweets and junk good, although it will help you gain weight it will make you bloat more than other foods may. Fruit is good, and pasta and rice which contains carbs. Milk too for protein. Nuts if you aren't allergic like me aha. Don't know if any of that helps or whatever but there you go. If you wanna talk, just direct message me smile more than happy to help you out 
  • Posted

Well done so far, it is hard work.  I am thinking that it would be a good idea to keep a food diary including drinks, and whe you notice the bloating.  There may be a pattern, in which case you could have an intollerance to a certain product.  A very high fibre diet will also make you bloated as it swells once swallowed, maybe go for a lower fibre option.  It can be trial and error, when it first happened to me I looked pregnant but with skinny arms and legs.  I would also suggest drinking plenty of water, this will help the fibre through your system.  Are you under the care of a dietician?  It's worth asking your GP for a referral.  Good luck. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.