On the crazy train of pain 3 weeks after Achilles and bone debriedment surgery...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had Achilles reattatchment/ bone debriedment Aug 23rd, 10 days plaster cast, 4 weeks fiberglass cast all no weight bearing...then boot 4 weeks PT. I've had so much pain with the casts... I've had 4!!! they start rubbing and the pressure is horrible but I can wiggle my toes even though they are pain tingly all the time. I keep my leg elevated almost all day and using ice and pain.meds. sleep is horrible, please tell me it gets better. their answer is just another cast which is just a vicious cycle for me...this latest one looks fine but the pain is just crazy..help

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have 2 weeks left in a cast before the boot which then I start with the boot. the Dr will not let me get a boot early.

• Posted

I didn't have all that but I did have a broken ankle. I am week 9 after surgery now and still having quite a bit of pain. I understand how you didn't like the cast. I didn't do well with them either I did do better with the boot when I was non-weight-bearing then at least I could loosen it if I needed to. My foot would swell up in the splint or the cast and I. My foot would swell up in the splint or the cast and I would be really uncomfortable so I understand that part of what you're going through. I still have a lot of pain on the top of my ankle and the nerves I believe they're called Stingers have been very painful the last couple of days. I am in physical therapy now just started last week and I have taken a. I am in physical therapy now just started last week and I have taken a few steps in the boot but after I did that the pain was much worse which they said was normal. I understand how you feel though because it has been nothing but actually 12 weeks of pain. I don't have any pain medication anymore. They just have me walking with the boot and physical therapy and when I can walk in the boot without help and I will go into a smaller brace that doesn't weigh anything and then from there hopefully be able to walk unaided. The few steps that I am taking in the boot are very small. The few steps that I am taking in the boot are very small and I'm walking like a very very old lady I can only do a few at a time. good luck to you, I can only stay talk to your doctor but it sounds like you've already done that so I wish but it sounds like you've already done that so I wish you the best. I don't know the answer to your question I'm so sorry. Just know you're not in this alone. I would never wish a broken bone anywhere but especially in the footer the leg

• Posted

sorry for all the mistakes. I was speaking this and it doesn't always come out right. I hope you feel better soon..

• Posted

Thank you Suzusan for your reply...Im sorry your having issues too...I was starting to think what the heck is wrong with me. I had no idea that it would be like this and it's so depressing when all I want is a little relief. All I hear in the back of my mind is my Dr saying the cast should be comfortable and I shouldn't have any pain...he obviously has not had a cast on his foot or this surgery. I dont doubt his surgical ability, he was highly recommended and everything went well. Silly me thought...2 weeks I will be back at work which quickly changed to planning on 4 and now extending to 6...am I going to need more...gosh I hope not. Im nervous about the pain meds and use them so sparingly because I'm pretty sure he wont perscribe them again. Ive got 9 more days with the cast and rather than just keep going in to put on another I'm trying to just stick it out. Wish I could sleep til then, or sleep through a night would be nice 😉. From what I've read this is all nerve pain which takes a long time to heal. I pray this is better in the end than what I was dealing with before. I hope you will continue to heal quickly with much less pain and regain all you were able to before . Healing prayers

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean . I saved some of the pain meds from before I was way bearing when the pain got better . I didn't realize that when I started putting weight and walking on it that it would get so much worse again. luckily I had a few left and I took one the other night because it was awful luckily I had a few left and I took one the other night because it was awful and like you said it's the nerves and from what I hear the same thing is that it takes a long time. Quite frankly after the other night I kind of took I kind of took a day off and that's probably not what I'm supposed to do but I have physical therapy tomorrow and I'll get back into it I just you know couldn't do it and go through another night like that. I know they don't like to give you pain meds for too long because so many people get addicted to them. Honestly I don't understand why because if you don't have pain I don't I don't see where they would make you feel anything that would make you want to take them. You don't get high you don't get anything or at least I don't from them but they do take. You don't get high you don't get anything or at least I don't from them but they do take the pain away and they are the only thing that takes the pain away cuz when it gets really bad like that Ibuprofen and the rest that stuff and they are the only thing that takes the pain away cuz when it gets really bad like that Ibuprofen and the rest that stuff doesn't work. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon. it does give very depressing. We just have to think positive and know that it's going to get better eventually.

• Posted

again so sorry for the messed up words and repeated sentences but it takes me forever to text so I speak it and it doesn't come out right A lot of the time .

• Posted

i had ankle surgery with cast for 4 weeks

cast was irritating but not painful

went into boot with 25 % weight bearing until week 7

then xray and bones had healed i could begin putting more weight on it but it was quite painful in the beginning

im now 10 weeks post op and walking good in boot and walking w/o boot as well

what i can tell you is its a long road back

it can become frustrating and depressing but you will get better

all my best

• Posted

Thank you Sandra for your reply...I'm glad your doing well and there is an end to this for you. Im just expecting too much and dont understand why the bottom of my foot feels like its on fire...heel to toes ...and no position in this cast is comfortable which the Dr thinks it should be. 9 more days with the cast then the boot so just trying to hang on til then. Thanks again for the reassurance it does get better 😃

• Posted

i think the doctors tell you the recovery is quicker than it actually is and everyone recovers differently

i was very lucky with little pain until i went into the boot and started walking

PT for me is s Godsend

ive made good progress

tonight my foot is VERY sore i did a lot today and my foot is letting me know it!

couch, ice pack for rest of night for me

all my best, keep us posted on your progress

• Posted

I agree. I have Pt tomorrow. Im sure it will help. I think I just over did it the 1st time. I got so excited that I could take a few steps that I did to much. My doctor says it will talk to me. The last 2 days it was yelling at me . I took it easy today. Back to crunch time tomorrow just maybe q little slower. it didn't hurt too bad when I was walking on

• Posted

also my physical therapist told me that the cold like an ice pack is good for the swelling but heat is good for but heat is good for the pain. I did put some heat on tonight and it did make it feel better. If you're in a lot of pain at night help to alternate.

• Posted

yes at PT we start with heat and end with ice

a friend of mine who broke his ankle last winter also suggested hot/cold method

and sometimes i soak in warm water with Epsom salt that feels good too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.