On venlafaxine for 10 months

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been on here many times over the past year but am STILL struggling. Been on Venlafaxine since last July and increased gradually up to 225mg back in December . Although there's lots of people commenting about its affects/success/side effects. I've never seen anyone describing what I've been experiencing, which is periods of stability and feeling settled and like myself but then every few weeks I crash and the lows are getting worse and worse-debilitating/distressing type, can't function lows. These lows are getting worse and feel like I'm relapsing but I've also experienced stable periods. I've had a couple of times where I've felt hyper. As I say I've been on it a year but moods are all over the place and scarily unpredictable. I just wanted to know if anyone here had experienced the same? Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi there,

Sorry you are having such a hard time on VEN but i was on it for 18 months and it never kept me stable or helped really plus i put 2 stone on in weight. After basically having the biggest melt down of my life due to withdrawel i screamed and cried so much to the doctors they changed the medication to another the pschyiatrist had suggested, Epilim which is normally given to epilepsy patients but helps people with bi polar, I HAVE CYCLOTHEMIA which is a lesser form of bi polar. I am now a happier person, NO MAJOR HIGHS OR LOWS!!! i am so level and balanced and happy i hope other people would try and get their lives back like i have. I still take citalopram 40mg and mirtazapine 15mg per day.

i hope everyone on here can get a level happy life again after all the years of suffering we have obviously all had or still having. Sending my love along with hopefully some helpful info xxx

• Posted

P.S

I Have even been able to work again after years unable to xx

• Posted

I struggle too work too I'm managing just now but I have a great support team at work they allow after me.

• Posted

I was on Effexor for 12 years, never felt it really made me better but kept taking because I believed the chemical imbalance myth. I had periods of super lows as well.

Food for thought: too high serotonin is not necessarily a good thing, either. Too high serotonin is associated with social anxiety and anxiety. If you browse the web you will find information.

I had my genetics analysed with 23andme, took the data and exported it to third party SNP analysis services, and found out that I have mutations in two genes that process/break down neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine (among others). Those mutations mean the enzymes those genes code for work at 25% of normal. What that means is that my enzymes are TOO SLOW at breaking down neurotransmitters, so those neurotransmitters build up and can be too high! The last thing I needed was to take antidepressants that BOOST serotonin and norepinephrine!

I have been tapering off two ADs for four years, now down to 1.5 mg Effexor and 1.2 mg Remeron. It hasn't been easy and I have indeed suffered withdrawal along the way, though not as severe as if I had done a much faster taper. I recently had urine neurotransmitter levels tested and my dopamine and serotonin levels were normal.

I tell you this because it is possible that if you have mutations in those genes, too, then pushing your neurotransmitter levels higher could be very problematic since low levels were likely not the problem to begin with! There are other things going on that can cause depression and anxiety. Having your thyroid, B12, folic acid and D levels checked is a start.

• Posted

Hello..has anyone been reading this recently. i have been taking 150mg venlafaxine for 12 weeks. Speaking to mental health nurse tomorrow. Not sure if this is the med for me. Scared to increase dose and scared also to try and come off it. Anxiety up and down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.