on venlaxine 37.5mg psych wants me to go up to 75mg but....

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello as i said in the title my psychatrist is putting up my dose to 75mg ,  im worried about this as i feel ill never be able to come off this drug at all.

im having probs not being able to go toilet properly and plus im suicidal again.

ive been very low and have chronic suicidality and im seeing my gp on wednesday but am quite scared to tell him as the reason i started the drug in first place was for him as id been extremly scared to start any medications.

so apart from saying to home treatment and psychatrist how im feeling i dont really want to burden my doctor with my bad tyhoughts again.

id like to hear from anyone here.

thankyou

moo

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is your doctor's job to be "burdoned" by your bad thoughts. They are getting paid to help you. Talk to them. They are less able to help you if you withhold information.

• Posted

Hi moo that's what they are there for luv .. your dose is too low it's not therapeutic hence the reason your getting bad suicidal thoughts. 75mg is ok ya no. Iv been upto 225mg havnt been good on then so on 75mg again atm .. you need to talk this is what will help your dr decide on best treatment for u x

• Posted

If yourr feeling suicidal you need to see your Dr. Today! Or go to the ER immediately if needed! There are so many diff anti depressants, and they all work diff on everyone. Your Dr. WANTS to know your reaction to ANY meds!

Please tell him, dont put it off and God Bless!

Kimmi

• Posted

Please be honest with your psych.  They've heard it all before.  But some meds actually make you have suidical thoughts.  As for the toilet, I was always constipated--or so I felt and I know that is a side effect.  Maybe you can find something to eat that will straighten you out.  I found pears did it for me.  If you are running the other direction and you can't control it, tell MD (psych) also.  Are you actually suicidal--like have you done something to harm yourself?  Or do you just have occasional thoughts.  I have had those and it is a side effect of my substitute med to get off Ven.  Tobe burdened is your doctor's job.  But they are not as experienced with psych meds as your psych.

• Posted

You need to talk to your GP. When I first went on Effexor I was given another med  to take alongside to boost mood and it was amazing. Stayed on it for 3 years and then no-longer required so came off with no side effects. Why not see if there is something that could supplement in the first instance. I am sorry I cannot remember name but worth a try. 

Your doc is, as others have said, there to be burdened. That is what he is paid for! You are a customer and have the right to expect good service. I think we forget this and is not helped because we are asking for help which goes against our natural instinct. We want to get better so the more they know the more they can do but sometimes we need to steer them along a possible other route and make them think outside the easy options. My doc says I challenge him which I take as a compliment and he always has his 'guide book' of possible options beside him when I go in. He enjoys this as he has learned through our interactions and I leave happy in the knowledge that at least we are working together to help me. Last week when I spoke to him and he said he was now prescribing less Effexor and trying other options first and this sometimes included 'mixing and matching' when required. 

So, go and speak to GP and you will feel so much better asking for the other possible options.

• Posted

Burden the doctor???? Oh lovely, you must! Thats what they're there for.

As for the increase, I did the exact same increase myself this week, and apart from my mouth getting drier, I've not noticed much difference yet.

Your doctor wouldn't have put you on this type of antidepressant if he didn't feel it was appropriate. Please don't listn to all the scaremongering about this drug and coming off it-it affects different people differently. Concentrate on trying to get well, using these medications can be a long term thing (to find what's right for YOU, but if it helps-who cares?

Please be honest with all the professionals involved in your care and support and I hope you start feeling better soon xxx

• Posted

Hello I might be able to help first why did u start the patch

next what's rong with u.. pain wise and ur dose is not that bad

with draws don't let anyone tell u or scare u don't get me rong

withdrawal sucks ass but croinc pain is much different

Then other pain pm me ad I can help u out much more ok and

put ur mind at ease

Boom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.