On Waiting list for Laparoscopic Fundoplication

Posted , 6 users are following.

Phew!!! Gastro Surgeon at Coventry University Hospital saw me today and has put me on the waiting list for surgery. It is a 6 month wait but Ive had reflux for 15 years and now have a 3cm sliding HH and Barretts.

I have put on loads of weight in the last 6 months due to immobility and stopping smoking as well as a limited diet so I have to do the liver shrinkage diet, 2 weeks before surgery.

I have been reading others experiences of this op and find it all very encouraging.

I would be glad of any information about the op and the liver shrinkage diet. The Clinical nurse said a calory count of between 800 to 1,000 calories a day, which is about double what my intake is at the moment.

Feeling positive that I can get my life back soon smile

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

WOW, How tall are you?  400-450 calories daily?   Yes, you need to get more calories ASAP.  Just drink one shake with a banana, oats, almond milk and some blueberies will give yoo an extra 300+ calories.   Once your better add a scoop of protein powder to get close to the 450 calories. Good luck and God bless. ;-)
    • Posted

I'm 5ft 7 and hardly eat.....just too uncomfortable as I have an oesphagial paralysis after the smallest meal.... I still put on loads of weight though somehow.

We are now working on a  calorie counted diet.

I used to do 5 Zumba classes a week and smoke. Now I do neither...

Hope to get back to class and back on a horse at some point too.

• Posted

Best of luck Hillary

Suffering so much reflux at moment worst part is pain between shoulder blades

Hope u will let us know how u get on

Kate

• Posted

No Hillary

I'm hoping for an endoscopy to see if things have changed since jan my awful symptoms only started out of blue second week in April but I've suffered daily and am wondering if damage is already caused my worst symptom is pain. Between shoulder blades

• Posted

Good luck with the Endoscopy... let us know how you get on and take care of yourself in the meantime
    • Posted

Tks Hillary and good luck to u too pls let us know how it all goes for u

Kate

• Posted

Hi Hillary,

Best of luck with your op, I had mine last Wednesday, my Hiatus hernia was 2cm and I had a 270 degree wrap. So far I think I'm doing well, I'm managing sloppy porridge and soup, I had a little too much today and feel stuffed. I didn't have to do the liver shrinking diet thankfully, I had my last food a bowl of bran flakes at 11:30pm the night before and stopped drink fluids 6:30am and went for surgery by 10:30am. I was terrified but glad it's done now. I took my last ppi on the morning of op and only painkillers since and the odd anti sickness tabs. I've already lost a stone in weight, I'm not overweight so it's starting to look a bit noticeable, I don't mind coz I know once my appetite is back I will put most of it back on..

I've had reflux symptoms since I was a child, I'm now 46 and look forward to the next 46 years of eating without discomfort.

Good luck best wishes.

Margaret.

• Posted

Thankyou Mag. I have been following your journey from surgery til now and found it very positive.

I hope to get some life back and get back to excersising... I hate being over weight. This is the first time in my life that I have been. 

Im hoping to go to surgery, sooner rather than later but at least I know now that my illness has been recognised and that I wasnt imagining it.

Im 63 and had a forced retirement last year. I wont go back to work but it will be nice to do things without the fear of this horrible condition ruining my days.

I will post a report of my surgery and I hope it will give others the courage to go for the Op. Just as your post did for me.

• Posted

Hi Hillary,

I'm so glad my updates are helping people, of course everyone is different and it might not work so well for another, but on this site I have read more positive stories than bad which was a great help to me making my decision to have the op.

Margaret

• Posted

Hi I too am on waiting list for operation for a 5cm Hiatus Hernia and refux Gerd.( I'm 56 still working full time ) I saw my surgon Mr Menzieat Ashford Hospital (Middx) on 28th April 2016. he has put me on his waiting list said be 2-three month ish and given me a low fat diet to follow and then 2 weeks before my operation date which I have not got yet. Have to do the Liver shrinking diet that looks a bit hard.

Haveing problems at moment losing weight from this low fat diet sheet. I was not eating a lot before I was given diet to follow

I think may not be eating enough as losse little bit then seam to put back on, but only eating Oatibix for breakfast as used to skip breakfast but trying hard to have something. Cuppa soup for lunch as at work. And have 2 Ryvita the fruit one so as can use instead having biscuits with my tea still only have one sugar as have tried sweetners but don't like taste. And salad or baked potatoes or something similar in evening try to drink water too.

Not realy over weight about 71kg ish but surgeon wants me to lose 1 stone before operation and said I will lose another shone after operation . He said I will need new wardrobe clothes. I will feel like a new women... how are you doing?

I had put on bit weigh too when put me on Omeprazole made me feel really bloated. They didn't agree with me so went back on to Lansoprazole 30mg in morning and 300mg Ranitidine before bed.. have been following Mag2 exspence and some others and found this real helpful as was realy scared about all but this is very reassuring and helpful. Would love to know how you are doing as well and any tips on the diet side of things. Good luck and hopefully you get it all sorted too. Be very interested to hear how you are doing and coping too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.