One bad night of sleep has led to sleep anxiety (again)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all. I've had problems with sleep in the past, mostly in 2017-18, and then it seemed to settle down, by and large. However, on Sunday I couldnt sleep and was lying awake until maybe 4am-ish. The fear of not sleeping has come back, and whilst I am not lying there worried about anything in particular, the main problem for me is the fear of not sleeping and the effect it will have on me and my ability to function/work the next day. I worry I am abnormal, and nobody else spends half the night lying away checking the clock, tossing and turning, feeling unwell through anxiety and relentless insomnia.

I have (generally) a bit of a 'thing' about how many hours sleep I have managed, and always count it up (approximately) and if eight or more, I am fine the next day. Once I am asleep I tend to sleep through, but it is the fact it takes me hours to sleep (at least, since Sunday - it is now Friday) that is so worrisome and problematic for me.

Anyone have any advice? I feel groggy, sluggish and depressed in the day.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.