ONE DIFFERENT BP READINGS ON EACH ARM ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Recently..I've noticed different bp readings on each arm...I usually take my bp reading in the am..and noticed that my right arm reading will be a bit higher than my left arm reading....I WONDER WHY THAT HSPPENS....ANY ADVICE ??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as neither reading is abnormal. If you take BP on the same arm (whichever) several times in a row it will come out slightly different each time.

• Posted

So...if I measure my bp on let's say the right arm....and it gives a reading of let's say for example 160/100...then 2 minutes later I measure my left arm and it gives a reading of let's say 140/89...are you saying that's ok ??

That's a 20 point difference between two arms....

• Posted

Hi if your right arm consistently gave a reading of 160/100 then no it wouldn't be OK, even if your left arm was giving 140/89, BP is not a constant and can go up and down throughout the day and is easily effected by your body, example, heat, cold, anxiety, illness, food, drink etc that is definitely not the full list.

But on average if you take it at the same time every day with the same influences it should in theory be similar if not exactly the same.

Back to the arm measurements, most practitioners will say that you should take it in the arm with the highest reading if the differences are quite great as they are in your reference numbers.

But to be honest if your numbers were both below 140/85 every time in both arms at rest I would look to changing your diet and exercise regime, lower your salt intake and drink more fluids and decrease your body weight if its above your recommended optimum weight.

• Posted

I'm the same.  BP reading is always higher from right arm than left arm .  No idea why, and the difference is not huge.  So I always take readings from my left arm .

• Posted

How different are your readings

You said not a huge difference...is it like 10 points ??

• Posted

Hi Louis,

I haven't checked my BP recently, but in the past the difference could be 8-10 points.  The difference was greater on the systolic (top) reading than the diastolic (bottom) reading.  Once at the GP surgery, a nurse was taking my BP and used my right arm.  The reading was higher than normal.  I asked her to use my left arm instead, and a lower reading was recorded - to her surprise.    

• Posted

G R E A T  question for your GP.  Have you researched this online i.e. research studies, peer-reviewed articles might be a good start.  Good luck.
  • Posted

It could be something as simple as anatomical difference, in that one arm has larger vessels, it wouldn't have to be that much for it to cause a variation in the reading.

There are other less well defined and difficult to diagnose reasons, consideration 

needs to be given to those.  I had a large difference between arm reading, and even had unequal pulses as well.  The physician ( a nephrologist) who discovered

that little quirk spoke as if other doctors had most likely already noted this.  Wrong,

he was the only one who noticed it, and mentioned it to me.  Others may have noticed it, but never mentioned it to me.  It can be a sign of a more serious medical

problem, but I'm assuming that's not the case, because no one else has addressed since, and that's been years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.