One down, one to go

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had my left TKR on January 6th and my right is scheduled for April 9th. I still battle quad pain in my left leg but overall it has gone well. I'm up to two miles every other day on the incline trainer and pool work three times a week. My fear is that I'll lose the progress I've made when I have to go back to almost no activity when the right knee is done.  Has anyone else followed this type of dual replacement schedule?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No dual replacement for me just the one so can't really be a lot of help I'm afraid.

The only thing I found with the one is that I had bad arthritis in my right ankle.

After I had my left knee replaced my right ankle has also significantly improved, I think this is just because I am now distributing my weight differently.

You will not go back to no activity as such because you will still be doing physio if that makes sense?

Good luck with it all and keep me posted.

Sarah

• Posted

Wow, January of this year?  ha ha...  I think you are doing great and it sounds like you are motivated.  I expect you will lose a little progress as you won't be able to do those activities for a bit but try stay positive and patient. Concentrate on the newest knee and as strange as it sounds, maybe the first TKR knee will get stronger trying to compensate for the 2nd?  Might ask your trainer about that.   And no I have not had both knees replaced.  Hope I don't have to.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hello there, you are the first person i have seen on the forum having both TKR close together. I thought I was alone. I had right tkr on 20th Jan this year and left knee due on 31st March. I have pushed to have the other done so soon, as I want to get back to work asap. I am swimming, walking and using the gym. But only 2-3 times per week and 5 mins on stepper and bike. Then 10 lengths in pool max. I think we will loose strength and flexibility on operated knee, but eventually be able to build them both up equal hopefully with little or no pain . Which I have suffered with for the last ten plus years. Good luck.
    • Posted

Go mandy go!   Going thru one is hard.  You must have a great mind-set to do two close together.  At least you know what to expect on #2.   Are you sleeping???
    • Posted

Wow! You are a trouper! I had my one knee done at the end of Jan and need to have my second one done as well but find it hard to imagine doing it so soon. My bend is good (115) and leg is straight but in the last 2 weeks have experienced some grinding and clunking when I do my stretching exercises. Not really painful but uncomfortable for sure! I have been given a work leave of 4-6 months and if I use that all up (which I am expecting to do) I will need to wait til next year to do other knee. How did you prepare mentally to have both knees done so close together?
    • Posted

How did the second one go? I had my second tkr yesterday morning. Physical therapy had me walking 5 hours later. Bend is at 103. Have two more sessions today and I think they will let me go home. I start the full session physical therapy on Monday. Pain is not quite as bad as the first one
  • Posted

Hi there, 10 days post op of 2nd tkr. Time in hospital about the same, good experience both times. Had 1st weekly physio session and they were pleased with my progress. Finding bending more difficult this time, straightening okay. In alot more pain than I can remember from last time, not sleeping particularly well.

I know it is early days and my consultant told me not to compare the knees. I keep looking at the other knee , knowing that eventually it will all be ok. I just need to keep up the exercise, icing, elevating and meds. Seeing consultant 4 wks post op, so hoping alot better by then.

• Posted

I didn,t really have a choice to leave my other knee. As I have been off work for sometime, I felt the sooner my knees were sorted, the sooner I can get back to work and normal life. I have worked most of my life, never had much time off as luckily no serious illness . I am now self employed, so £70 per week benefits does not pay my utility bills, never mind food etc. Hoping to go back to work after 6-8wks, but do it gradually parttime to begin with. I have found the forum folk very helpful and supportive. Good luck everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.