One episode and no more ever...is that possible?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone heard of people experiencing AF just once? Is it that once your heart has done this it just has to it again ? A friend said" oh I think I had that once years ago and I took husbands beta blockers for a bit!Never happened again so I just forgot about it" Is this more likely to just have been a fast sinus rythmn and not real AF?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have re-read the BHF web site piece on AF and there is not a clear distinction between the diagnostic evidence that distinguishes between AF being 

​a) the absence of a p-waves in your ecg (an irregular heart beat with no sinus rhythm)

​b) an irregular heartbeat in the presence of a p-wave in your ecg (ectopic beat/s in sinus rhythm)

​This implies that there is some uncertainty amongst medical professionals as to whether you are in what is being called AF or if you just have an undiagnosed irregular heartbeat.

​This could be quite crucial particularly if you are about to have your heart stopped before a cardioversion.

• Posted

I think everyone had asked such question after the first episode and hoped the answer is yes, I was one of these people. Unfortunately I had another three episodes after the first one. I always hope the last episode was the last one I ever had though.
    • Posted

Thanks I thought unlikely...but possible those people don't appear on sites like this once done with it!

• Posted

You may also be having episodes with no symptoms but still having a-FIB.  A HOLTER MONITOR would determine that.  It's like portable EKC machine that you wear for24 hours or longer and it shows if you've had any episodes.  I had no symptoms at all but monitor showed I was in afib even while I slept.

• Posted

Yes I have to gave that 48hr monitor thing early Jan. J did assume if I couldn't feel it it's not AF. So beta blockers don't stop it...they just mask it from one's awareness is that right?

• Posted

Well, there's a first time for everything, lol.  I had an isolated incident like 16 years ago, and that particular thing has never recurred, but a few years later other variations started happening.  Don't need to go looking for trouble, just wait and see if your luck holds.

• Posted

I posted similar question on bisoprolol thread. I had one episode of AF six months ago while having chemo therapy. Been on bisoprolol ever since. GP says I will probably be on something forever now, though they might change what it is.
    • Posted

Yes this seems to be the standard medical response. Once you've had it you are most definitely going to get it again. ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.