One-eyed person and double vision. Possible cause?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’m a 33 years old, one-eyed person and I’ve got a serious problem with monocular diplopia. It started almost two years ago and slowly developed. Due to the retinopathy of prematurity my visual acuity was never good (VOS = 0,1) but now my sight is even worse than it was through my whole life.

Initially my doctor suspected astigmatism because the ghost image I see is always placed on the same axis, but toric lenses which he prescribed didn’t help.

Then I noticed additional symptoms like unnatural colors and halos around the light sources and I was diagnosed with cataract. I undergone surgery but it also didn’t change anything. (I had monofocal lens implanted without any complications, it isn’t off-centered etc.) – actually my diplopia is even more severe.

Now some doctors claims that it’s caused by the PCO, but other says that my capsule is only slightly blurred and wrinkled only on the edges so it shouldn’t affect my vision. They say that there can be some irregularities of the fovea spotted on the OCT… but others argue it’s not so important nor significant or even say that everything is fine…

Because of my nystagmus it’s almost impossible to obtain a reproducible keratometry result but I’ve got also AS-OCT before my surgery and doctors assure that only some irregular astigmatism is present. They deny that I can have a keratoconus.

And probably I also have some level of eccentric fixation (that can be responsible for my low VA) – but once again – it never caused seeing ghost image during my whole life.

If I push my cornea slightly, I’m able to reduce image blurriness or move doubled images a bit closer. Generally ghost image moves away from the real one with the increase of distance to the object… Unfortunately, as I’ve said, toric lenses don’t help me, only my old -3,5D lenses make distant objects a bit sharper (they also “move” ghost image closer to the real image of the object) - but my vision still remains bad.

Now I can’t read text on my TV from about 50-60 cm, games and movies watched from 30-40 cm are blurry, bright straight lines on the screen get doubled…

I still suspect that it can be some problem only with my cornea. It’s hard to believe that some age-related retina strains could totally ruin my sight in less than a year…

WHAT CAN I DO KNOW?

Perhaps some of you have another theory, another possible explanation? Please help me because I don’t know what to do. (and yes, I was diagnosed by – theoretically – very good doctors in my area, two PhD’s and one professor)

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

@piotr48635 Just sawn your post.

Have you tried RGP or scleral lens to rule out the possibility of cornea?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.