One leg is now longer than the other !

Posted , 14 users are following.

Went to hip class today after seeing the surgeon and a physiotherapist twice . The female OT took less than three minutes to observe one leg is now longer . The bad leg . It seems they have made me taller ! No wonder one leg felt so off kilt . If I

Stand on the bad leg I am off the floor with the other one! She said it can happen in about 20% of cases and is referring me to podiatry for a shoe raiser/ implant . I went into hip class hoping to come out like Shakira and instead it's long john silver !!!😳😳

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Hazel. Haven't read all the comments so hope I'm not repeating too much of what others have said. I had a leg length discrepancy prior to surgery, including a cam and pincer extra growth which is what the osteoarthritis to be so much worse on that side. My operated on leg felt quite a bit longer at first but five weeks on I can feel the discrepancy is much much less, maybe only half a centimetre. The hospital physio has given me exercises to do to straighten out my pelvis and is sure i will end up with equal legs. As it does seem that things are improving I'm inclined to believe her!

Take advice of course but a lot of what physios say depends on their training and experience and shouldn't be taken as gospel in my view.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.