One month later..

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello fellow hippies. Just a quick update. One month after my hip op I can walk without crutches and actually went back to work after 18 days. Started slowly with an hour or so a day but now back to work full time. Would not have thought this possible 3 weeks ago. Can sleep on either side now and physio have discharged me.

I think i have been lucky but i have kept up with the exercises and tried to do a little more each day. So for everyone in week one which is terrible, it does get better at an amazing rate

Take care of yourselves

Kate x

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate just lying in bed dreading my thr on September 19th and thinking of the consequences, your comments have lifted my spirits , thank you

Phil

• Posted

Yeah I was like you, dreading the whole procedure. I ended up taking it as a journey into the abyss and eventually will come out better off.

Actually it wasn't that bad (after the first week or so) and now geez I can't remember what week I'm at. 7 to 8 I think. Just finished brush cutting my place, haven't used a walking stick in weeks and didn't do the bloody exercises that I was told to do. They were useless after a few weeks imo, just get up and move. Oh and lots of massage for the repairing muscles and the scar.

I am literally a new man, or at least back to where I was 2yrs ago. The surgeons are saints! You'll be fine

• Posted

Hi Kate

I use(d) coconut oil. My scar seemed to have had "lumps" where the stitches were and was quite numb. I just used my thumb to rub these in a circular motion. Sometimes I would wake up at night (especially in the early days) and give the area a good rub. I was a masseur at one time so I guess I instinctively knew what pressure to use but basically don't hold back but don't hurt yourself too. All I have now is a tiny numb patch that doesn't concern me at all.

Oh I also take turmeric powder with ginger and a little black pepper in milk daily. Science tells us that it is as good an anti inflammatory as ipuprophen weight for weight (!) and doesn't hurt the stomach, actually the opposite.

• Posted

Dear Kate

Happy for you....good luck in next steps of recOvery

Mic

X

• Posted

That's fab news Kate and an inspiration to those still waiting to have it done.

That was extremely fast though. Did you have anterior surgery?

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

Hi Ali. I think I've learnt that we all take a different time to recover. I'm five weeks post second hip, I found the Physio app for my smart phone very useful. I too massage my scar, with Potters Cocoa butter. Saw my surgeon yesterday having driven for an hour to see him. After checking my scar he asked if I was back riding again! I'd ridden after four weeks on left hip. Seeing my sports Physio today to help get my right leg horse friendly. So. I think it's all individual and, aren't we the lucky ones to now be pain free?

Susan.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Yes we do all recover at different rates but for a normal posterior procedure, 6 weeks is the very basic time frame for restrictions and I don't know of anyone other than someone having the anterior approach who can get round these restrictions, despite how quickly they recover. Before that 6 week limit you are risking so many complications, not least dislocation.

There are no such restrictions for anterior patients which is why I thought you may have had that approach. No consultant or physio would condone not sticking to basic restrictions for the posterior approach.

I hope everyone on here has the best recovery possible within safe limits. I'd love to be able to just go to sleep and wake up 4 weeks from now when the worst is over but sadly I am a mere mortal without the drugs to knock myself out for a month 😂

Take care.

Ali x

• Posted

Such great positive news. So happ to hear your recovery want so well. 
  • Posted

Well done girl, and thank you for posting - 

warm big hug

renee

• Posted

Extremely well done Kate!  You are fortunate in having been physio/ exercises!! What exercises do you find beneficial please?  I was just told to walk! 
    • Posted

Hi vonnie

If you had your hip done on the nhs you should ask your gp for a referral to physio. If you google exercises post hip op you will find some but don't overdo it. I only do about 6 different ones 3 x a day but it is all about stretching and strengthening the muscles. If you can't find them message me again and I will find the link for you.

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Thanks for info....I have week one to look forward to!!!!! But the rest is encoraging.

Alice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.