One month on...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all - just a quick update from me.  Today marks one month of sobriety for me.  For those that don't know me, I had detox starting 14 February - the second one.  

I wanted to update on how it's gone - it has been tough on occasion, I still sometimes want a drink and the triggers are still there.  However, this is outweighed by feeling a lot healthier and looking so much better, no more red eyes, shaky hands or mottled complexion.  Life is more peaceful.  On the downside I often struggle to stay awake past ten (sometimes until) and life can feel a little flat.  I have been working really hard and have definitely seen a raise in my output which, given a am partially self employed - can only be a good thing, as well as all the money I'm saving on not buying wine.

I have been to a couple of AA meetings but for me personally they haven't been very helpful - I find this whole idea of saying I am not in control very hard to stomach - it felt at times like an Amway meeting!  That said, I know it helps lots of people.  

I am not complacent - I know that I could so easily slip back to where I was but for anyone in a similar situation or contemplating it - I would say persevere - the longer it gets from my last drink the better I feel and the less inclined I am to drink again - long may it last!

I hope everyone is doing well - am always happy to chat if I can help at all. Lorna x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Amway, that's a blast from the past, showing your age there girl.

I am assuming your detox was diazepam or similar, is this a permanent or temporary abstinence?

• Posted

Lol...I know smile. Yes it was librium I think. Much as I wish it could be temporary I suspect it will need to be permanent. After first detox I was fine for a while then drank sensibly for a while. .then a but of a hiccup in life and I was worse than before surprisingly quickly. Don't ever want to become dependant again. Was so grateful for all the support from this group x
    • Posted

Well, you can always think about Campral, it eases the pangs of after detox withdrawal, but is meant for those that want permanent abstinence.

It lets the mind and body find that balance it had before the drinking set in.

• Posted

Hello Lorna,

I am quite new to the Forum.  I am cutting down my drinking, using medication (Day11).  It is hard, but I am determined to win.  I cannot stop, just now because my intake was so high.  If I can regain some control, I hope , in the future, to try "dry life".  It will take time.  

I am really happy for you. Well done.  It is so hard to keep off it.  Good Luck with your "new you".  Hold on tight, to your wagon! 

I have got on...and fallen off, in the past.  Stay Strong. One whole month is a great stage to be at.  I hope to hear from you...next month. 👍

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thank you smile. I too tried to cut down first although using tapering off rather than medication bur just couldn't stick to it. I felt incredibly grateful for getting the detox as I feel like I have my life back. Good luck with everything. ..will be thinking of you x
  • Posted

Aww...so good to here about your progress.  Thank you for sharing....Do what works for you.  You don't have to go to AA.  The purpose I find for AA is the companionship...meeting more people.  Some meetings in the US...have activities...like dances, dinners, boating....its helpful to meet the new people...don't give up on it...even if it is only for THAT reason. Just go along with all the other "stuff"...LOL.

Its such a joy to wake up everyday without all those terrible things you mentioned.  I myself have also been sober for a month Jan 31...was the last day I entered a hospital for alcohol abuse...fingers crossed.  Its nice to have someone who understands.  Thank you!

• Posted

Well done. I'm so happy for you. Don't even attempt the demon. I've got sober and been so happy again. It's not worth the risk. Enjoy your new happy life xxx
  • Posted

HI Lorna and well done!! Suddenly 3 months and then one year. Always worth it since you feel better, rememeber more and have more money!! Yes, this is something to try and persevere. Superb and keep going!! All the best from Robin
  • Posted

) Hi Lorna, 

Hope the de-tox did you good; long term de-tox is quite an experience; I had a few short term and one long term which led me to Turning Point which I've never seen mentioned on here.

Sorry, I did laugh a little about your comment about Amway as I used to be with a girlfriend who I always said needed a de-tox from Amway just as I had de-tox for my addiction.

Well, I'm a fully paid up member of A,A, but as they say, "It's not for everyone." So; good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

After de-tox, I found it strange to be back in the real world and I hope you get re-aclimatised soon...... you must be feeling better in many ways.

Good luck.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.