One month on fluoxetine and now pregnant??

Posted , 4 users are following.

So worried. I'm on fluoxetine for depression and have only been on it one month. I just found out I'm scared to death because I'm not even well now and know I can't stop the meds sad

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I believe you can take this medicine whilst being pregnant, as have seen a couple of pregnant ladies who take this medicine who have posted on this site.

You MUST check with your doctor though as he will advise.

Congratulations on your pregnancy btw :-) xx

K x

• Posted

Yes I know that you can take this one that is why I started this one because I wanted to try again eventually. I'm still not well and it just worries me I'll get worse. I was on birth control too. I also worry of course taking it with side effects or birth defects on the baby and ppd afterwards when I'm still depressed now. sad
    • Posted

I went through 2 pregnancies whilst taking Anafranil, which is a tri-cyclic anti-depressant, not an SSRI like Fluoxetine (weren't around then).  My doctor made sure all was well with me and I saw him regularly for monitoring.  Both babies born well.

I never had PND even though I was suffering with depression at the time anyway.

So you were switched to Flu due to trying for a baby?  If it's safe for you to stay on Fluoxetine then 1 month being on them is still early days for you, and you should start feeling the benefit of this medicine soonish.  It does take a while for it to start working, and it's difficult to see it will work when you're in the grip of it all, but it will start helping you feel good soon.

K x

• Posted

I was on paxil and they said that prozac was safe to take during pregnancy. We weren't trying right now as I was trying to wait till I was better. I was taking yaz and changed birth control because yaz made my hormones go crazy and made my depression worse. I guess I'm just scared all these hormones are going to make my depression worse as I'm already in severe depression from a miscarriage and a couple deaths that happened in my family.
    • Posted

I actually found pregnancy hormones and looking forward to baby made me happy.  After I had my 2nd baby and I started on SSRI's I recovered from depression. I'm sure if you recovered on this modes before it'll work for you again.  This is my 2nd time on an SSRI after having a break, and like you I worried it wouldn't work again, but it did.

K x

• Posted

Meds not modes (typo) :-)
    • Posted

Thank you. The hormones right now seem to make me feel worse but I'm just praying that the flu kicks in so I can have some relief. Did you get postpartum after or have to raise meds?
  • Posted

Hi Nicole

First of all congratulations

Secondly don't panic

Make an appointment to see your Dr

To discuss any matters you may have

And for peace of mind . youll then be in a better position .

• Posted

Hi Nicole, congratulations!

talk to  your doc and take things one step at a time. It happens, maybe this is meant to be. How you  feel may be partly down to first trimester hormones! 😊 it will all get better. Just focus on today, stick to the smaller picture, it will help you keep everything in perspective. 

• Posted

I hope my hormones level out and I'm still only 4 weeks in on flu. I have taken flu before after my first miscarriages because I was having intrusive thoughts as it was a traumatic miscarriage. It cured me within a month and I stopped them 2 months later. I've been well for almost 2 years then I was hit with depression hard in dec. I was on paxil two months and they said if I wanted another child it would be best to change to prozac.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.