One month post op travel??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had rectocele, enterocele repair, plus tvt. I had scheduled a trip to visit my elderly parents and other relatives for a reunion that hasn't happened in over 20 years(and probably won't happen again). It will involve a 2 hr car ride as passenger, 1 hr wait in airport, 2 hr plane trip then 20 min car ride. I will be there for 1 week. I have my own hotel room and other than a day or two of visiting family, the rest of the wk I will spend a little time with my parents and be free to rest whenever I need to. Same return trip home at end of week. My question to everyone who's been thru this is I will be about 4 1/2 wks post surgery, do you think I should do this?? Any advice if I do.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

See if you can get a temporary handicap placard from your doctor. At 4 1/2 weeks post op I was okay except when I stood for longer periods of time or did more than an errand or 2. I was fine until the evening and noticed the next day I felt pretty crappy, if not for a few days. The surgery is a lot more extensive than we think and your core is used a lot just to sit. I borrowed my friends handicap placard and it helped tremendously when having to walk longer distances. You may want to call ahead to the airport and see if you can get a wheelchair. Obviously you can walk and stand, but long stretches in an airport and waiting around wear you out and can cause pain in the aftermath for sure so why not avoid that and err on the side of caution? Just a thought and looking out for you.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much. I'll look into getting a ride inside the airport. That's a great idea. I'm taking a shuttle to and from airport and they'll drop me off at the door.
  • Posted

Hi Connie,

I am actually four weeks post op for a rectocele repair and tvt. I realize everyone is different and experiences differ, but for me... I'd be fine to travel. I could have done all that two weeks ago.

Yesterday I drove 300kms to visit family and go back tomorrow. I did all the driving without issues.

All the best!

• Posted

Wow! I'm impressed! I'm still having trouble sitting down. That's my biggest worry about traveling. I'm encouraged by your post. I have 8 days till departure so hopefully I'll be better by then. Thanks!
    • Posted

I found that the changes were big from day to day. Hope you're well to travel.
  • Posted

I think Mommylove has given you excellent advice. Take into account how you feel now,as well. These ops take a lot of recovery and you need a lot of rest. Be very careful with lifting any luggage...at least have a case on wheels.
  • Posted

I can understand your dilemma on not wanting to miss this reunion!

Great advice from Mommylove on using a wheelchair at the airport, that will usually get you on the plane quicker too.

At 4 weeks post-op I drove for 3 1/2 hours in terrible traffic and it was a bit much, but I was the driver. It was only the last hour that was rough, shooting pains down below and in my lower groin area. The drive home a week later only took 2 1/2 hours and it was okay. I even unpacked after I arrived home.

BUT, your surgery was more extensive than mine.

It will be a long day, 5 1/2 to 6 hours if all is on time. Have you gone out and about for that long yet? What has your doctor advised? I would take his advice into consideration as well as how you feel. Even if he says it's okay, if you're not feeling well enough, don't do it. The recovery time for prolapse surgery is long enough without causing problems and having it extended. Everyone is different and heals differently.

Definitely do NOT lift your luggage. They will load and unload it on the shuttle and you could possibly use curb side check-in at the airport. My doctor told me when I went on the trip at 4 weeks, " no lifting luggage", nothing more than 5 - 10 pounds, as you don't want to undo or damage the surgery.

As Lindie65 said, big changes from one day to the next. Hopefully you make a lot of progress in healing during the next few days!

Praying for healing for you!

God bless!

Trish

• Posted

Tagging on what Trisha said, driving in traffic of any sort is tough do to the constant flexing and and release of your foot. Not sure if you're the driver though. I didn't really have issues sitting unless it was long periods at a time. Mixing it up seemed to work best for me. Just be careful though because even if you feel great, often times you overdo it and then the next few days may pay for it.

I'm like you, I wouldn't miss my reunion but looking back, I wish I took more advantage of help offered or did a little bit less because I think I could have had a more seemed

• Posted

Oops hit send prematurely. I meant I think I would have had a more seamless recovery if I did a bit less on days I felt good and accepted more help. Good luck and take care!
    • Posted

I've found a shuttle service that can take me from home to airport so I won't be driving.  I've also decided to send my luggage ahead of time and only take a very small bag for immediate needs.   I'm still just having a hard time sitting.   Dr recently prescribed flexoril for pain.  I've taken 5mg 3x day today and it doesn't seem to be doing much.  Prescription is 10 mg 3x/day but I'm afraid I'll be asleep all day!  I'm wondering if ibuprofen would work just as well but less tiredness.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.