One more time...

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had my left tkr on January 9th and went through very little pain and problem. Bend and extension were 144 and zero by week 6 and thought boy this is easy. Right tkr was done on April 9th and it's been like night and day. Left the hospital one day after surgery and thought this will be even easier. It's been two weeks today and I don't think I've slept 4 hours in any one day. Pain, sensitivity and almost no appetite. Three pt sessions and staples out and finally can feel some progress. No sleep though is annoying. Just can't find that magic position with this one. Karma is balancing the two of them out I think. Lol

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

On no ... just goes to show that no to knees are the sane!! Hope you manage to get some rest and can find a comfortable position to sleep in. At least you know you can get through it even if it is slightly different to your first tkr! Wish you well😉😉
  • Posted

I had a bad time with both of mine, but my right knee is still very difficult 7 months on.  Had a manipulation 20 March, but still can't straighten it.  Had an XRay today, which showed that everything is fine, so consultant says that it's a build-up of scar tissue so knee may have to be re-opened near the one year stage.

No two knees and no two people are the same though.  You are at an early stage and are experiencing normal things.

Wish you well.

• Posted

I had my left tkr on January 9th too! . . can't even imagine having the other one done at the moment!  Hope you soon see some improvement. . the pain, sleeplessness and loss of appetite are commen to most of us on the furum, and you were lucky not to experience it the first time around! . .  . but I'm sure you will soon bounce back.  it is only two weeks, and when you get to four I'm sure you;ll find everything improving. . although, have to admit, at fourteen weeks I still have problems sleeping!  Still, i sometimes did before the operation, so can't really complain!  144 is excellent!  I've only got 125 on my good leg!!!
  • Posted

Thanks for posting your experience - we all know that every joint is different, but Im really interested to hear it "from the horses mouth" as it were (no offence lol!) 

I had my first TKR on March 6th, and my other knee has deteriorated so quickly and so dramatically, that Im already facing a 2nd TKR (I wasnt aware of this prior to the 1st). The OA pain in my unoperated knee is worse than the pain Im getting in the TKR one, to such an extent that Ive almost ended up at A&E a couple of times (not that I have any idea what they could do apart from  heavy duty pain relief...).However, my surgeon says he wont consider surgical intervention until at least 6 months after the 1st one! So Im now facing dragging myself limping through the Summer - I have a further consultation on July 20th, and if all is ok then they will set the TKR ball rolling......

I think my recovery has been "average" if theres such a thing, no huge problems, no massive successes, just plodding through each day. Fingers crossed that Ill be the same, or possibly better, with the next....

All the best to you, I really hope that you recover well and manage to get some rest xx

• Posted

Really cant understand why your surgeon wants you to wait 6 mths before doing  your other knee when it is causing so much pain for you.  I am glad I opted for bilateral replacements (5 weeks ago). Have been very fortunate with my recovery, no sleeping problems apart from having to get used to sleeping on my back. That would be so difficult coping when sleep deprived.  My knees vary in their recovery, sometimes my right  is doing really well, other times its my left.  Right is still more swollen.  Have been walking around the house without an aid since 3 weeks but take my stick when I go out.  

Good luck to you.

• Posted

This seems to be the common thread between a very high percentage of those having both done and age doesn't matter. You will find the sleep problem is universal as well. Anyone who says they started getting a good nights rest before 6 weeks minimum doesn't realize how good they have it. I've said many rimes, my recliner has become my best friend over the years. I had the entire prosthesis removed 7 weeks ago due to staph and have been sleeping most nights for the last 10; however, I am in an immobilizer and am allowed a 40° bend. I will have to go back in a month or so and have the new knee installed and start the rebuilding process which means I'll probably be back to the 2 hrs in bed, up for pain meds and ice, back to the recliner for a couple of hrs then back to bed for awhile and so it goes. Sometimes a thin pillow between the knees will help and others have found thicker pillows to be effective. Sounds like you will need the learning curve of using pain meds properly as apparently you didn't need many the 1st time. Good luck and if you need help, we are all here for you
  • Posted

Try sideways and a pillow between legs. Maybe a few weeks early for that.

ice and elevate beforetrqying to sleepy. Pray for 2 hrs. smile

• Posted

I guess the fact that the first one was so easy does make the problems of this one easier to accept. Too bad it isn't going as smoothly. Give it a couple more weeks and things should calm down a little. Mine was a bilateral and 6 months later I still struggle with that perfect sleeping position. But I can do so much that I couldn't before, so I'm thankful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.