One ovary removed-what to expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had one ovary removed due to a 15lbs cyst. I have one ovary remaining. I am recovering from the surgery. Can anyone tell me are there any differences in cycles or what can I expect?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey! Hope you are recovering well.

I’m 8 weeks post op today. I had 4 dermoids removed along with my left ovary. I have had no changes or symptoms at all. My cycle has continued as it was pre surgery. 

Everyone is different tho.

Good luck with your recovery 😀

• Posted

What’s your age? 

I’m 37, I have my right ovary removed in November, almost 1 year. On the beginning, first three months everything was fine. After that, my period change for 22 days and I have a huge drop on my hormone levels. I’m not on menopause yet and I don’t feel any “hot flushes” but I started to have a lot of mood swings, feeling depressed , lost of sexual drive , muscles and also hair. I started a discussion few days ago, take a look.

But, it depends , averyone is different and that’s the reason that I really hate when the doctors tell that “you won’t feel any difference” . Definitely is not true! 

The ovaries are different. They don’t produce the same amount of hormone and don’t have the same numbers of follicles . My hormones dropped almost 2/3 ! 

The younger you are, less difference you feel.. 

Good recovery!!! <3 

• Posted

I had a 33lb cyst removed with my ovary almost 2 months ago.  My first period was in the recovery in the hospital, it was lighter because I had just had one 2 weeks prior due to the cyst jacking up my hormones. But the next one was normal just like before my operation, just as heavy as before and painful, I had been hoping they would be lighter and maybe the cyst had made them so heavy. Not the case for me, I'm about to have another soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.