One person's journey with sertraline

Posted , 18 users are following.

I would have found it helpful to read one person's journey with Sertraline, so I offer mine.  I was put on Zoloft twenty years ago for depression, but the side effects of suicidal feelings were so strong, I was taken off.  My mornings always were hard, but things would get better as the day went on.  I've dealt with this for years, as well as social anxiety. I'm ready to try medication again.

6 likes, 102 replies

102 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also stopped this med a little over 5 years ago, primarily due to being hard-headed. I'm considering going back on, but am on the fence about it. It will be interesting to see your progress. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Posted

Still Day 24:  No headache.  Depression is mostly gone, after a hard morning.  I notice colors and depth to flowers.  (When people are in oxygen deprived environments, colors become more muted.  When given oxygen, the colors return to normal).  I am seeing colors I remember from childhood, as well as a better appreciation of depth perception.  It seems like my mental "tunnel vision"  is opening up to a wider view of the world.  Maybe I can live a normal life!

• Posted

I feel like *me* again.  No headache.  I also am seeing Depth where I did not before.  Both physically and emotionally, if that makes sense.  I have physical depth of vision that my brain is picking up on, where the trees and mountains seem more distant, not like a two dimensional picture.  I am also seeing more depth emotionally, not so flat and tunnel vision type thinking.  Quite interesting.
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm leaving tomorrow for huge family reunion (social phobia nightmare) with two time zone changes (stress). We'll see how it goes.

• Posted

Best of luck to you! Hopefully you'll get to enjoy it, and take in some more good sensations. Have a safe trip!

• Posted

Day 25:  I woke up with no headache again.  This depth perception increase is strange.  Upon waking up, I saw a three dimensional bird flying in a three dimensional blue sky with 3D clouds.  I didn't realize I was seeing 2D in the mornings before.  I still spent the first 15 minutes of waking up in bed with my head buried in my pillow, but it wasn't 30 minutes.  So improvement there.  I wish I'd upped my dose earlier.  It still would have been torture, the first weeks, but maybe it would have had positive results sooner?  But for someone suicidal, it could push them over the brink, so I understand the caution.

• Posted

Day 26. Woke up three hours earlier than normal due to red eye airline departure. No headache. With one bomine and one exedrine migraine I feel fine. No panic, no heaves. I find myself calm, but slightly gritting my teeth all day, not a normal response for me. But normal, before sertraline would have been mild panic, anxiety and heaves. I'm thrilled with just teeth gritting. On to huge social family gathering...

• Posted

Day 27: After sleeping 9 1/2 hours, I felt ready to greet the day. I have no anxiety. I do find myself gritting my teeth throughout the day, but it's more like an annoying smell, not disruptive. I am relieved to feel that I can still "receive" spiritual inspiration and hear spiritual nudging. I was concerned that Sertraline would dull my spiritual receptors.

• Posted

I have been  successful on Zoloft, now Sertraline, for over 20 years , but now after dealing with multiple aging parent issues, 87 -year -old mother with  Alzheimer's and 97-year -old father with limited  physical ability, I have relapsed into depression and anxiety.  I also retired from a high level professional position.   Lots of transition and challenges.  Blood test revealed that I do have MTHFR C677T gene mutation (homozygous ) which can affect the ability to process folic acid which is linked to increased risk for depression and anxiety.  I started taking  Deplin a month ago and felt better during the first week or two but now feel worse emotionally.  I do yoga, eat healthy, etc.  My psychiatrist might try something to supplement Sertraline with another drug.   I would appreciate any feedback if you have had any success in adding any drugs or supplements  to the Sertraline prescription - especially if you have been on Sertraline for an extended period of time.  Keep on striving for peace within you.  

• Posted

You've got quite a lot on your plate, and my heart goes out to you.

My psychiatrist mentioned the name of a medication that can be added to sertaline, but for the life of me, I can't remember it. The way she spoke made it seem that it's not uncommon to add after hitting the max dose on sertaline. I've been seeing her for almost 20 years, so I obviously trust her. lol Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

• Posted

Yay! I made it to the four week point where I am supposed to start feeling the benefits. I'm spending week at a family reunion (social anxiety issues) in a two hour time zone difference. (off body schedule). I have no anxiety issues, even though sleep is disrupted. No headaches, no heaves, appetite is returning. No depression when I awake!!! Congratulations to me, I pushed through. I do find myself gritting my teeth often, something I never did before, but it's only a minor annoyance, like if I had a bad cut on my leg; it doesn't affect my movement, I am just aware it's there. I still feel precarious, but there's no anxiety or depression issues. Thank God.

• Posted

Day 29; So far, it's a two exedrine migraine pill day, but Zero social anxiety. No depression, no dry heaves - I' ll take this anyday. It's amazing since I'm at extended family reunion, with time zone disruptions. I am getting used to having physical depth perception back. I didn't realize I hadn'thad it for years. Real life looked more like a TV screen. The 2D vision returned when a storm came in, and the light was more muted. Interesting. I can't get over the No social anxiety issues. I am still mentally on high alert in terms of carefully watching my boundaries, eating and sleeping enough. But this is unique; no crying silently in my pillow multiple times during the day....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.