One step forward...... 3 steps back?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone , 

Why does it feel this way? One day out of the week I feel great! Feet are doing ok.. so I go out. I drove to the store. 3 of them to be exact. Not a huge amount of time in each one. 

But I felt the pain come on quickly and strong!

I was so frustrated because I really want to get life moving again. Sounds so whiny. So desperate. But since that day, I have been in some serious pain. Feels like a very painful tooth ache in that ankle. 

We got a foot massager to see if that will help at night after being out. 

Surgery was November 13th. Torn ligaments and tendons. 

So over it.

But trying to stay positive for everyone including me! 

Doc said six months of healing. I guess he isn't joking. 

Anyone else out there frustrated? Pained after so long? Fed up with not moving quickly?

I come and post here because I do not want my family to know how I am feeling.  In front of them I laugh and joke and make fun of myself...

Thanks for letting me vent!

Rose

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

Don't sweat it! You're definitely not alone. I've had three of these and it doesn't really get any easier each time.

The important thing is not to push too much - be careful not to hurt yourself. Otherwise just try to stay strong. Don't be afraid to show your frustration too. People will understand.

Remember the worst is behind you! In a month you'll be pretty much fine smile

• Posted

Thanks for the up lifting words, Andrei!   I feel bad for you having 3 surgeries!  I hope that is it for you for a long time!! 

Best of luck and thanks again!

Rose

• Posted

Sounds like you overdid it, which is very easy to do once you get to be the least bit mobile. Your body is telling you to slow down. It does take time and tons of patience. Also, let your family know how you feel. My bet is that they already know this is very hard for you.

Speedy healing!

• Posted

Yes they do know. I just don't like burdening them with so much. I mean I'm doing much of every thing at this point on my own .   I go see my doc Mar 14th. And I'm sure he will tell me what you guys are.  And If I slow down any more than I am I'm going to become a turtle!! LOL

Thanks!

Rose 

• Posted

Hi, I had peroneal reattchment 20/10/17 today 17 weeks post op after initially 9 weeks of non-weight bearing.

i only asked the other day on this forum if what I am feeling is normal as my ankle feels unstable still when walking and very swollen especially at days end.

Surgeon has told me many months to go as others have. Lack of blood flow in area for healing.

i am glad it’s not just me. 

• Posted

Hi Sumr... 

Thanks for the reply. You are not alone! Seems like this is ongoing! But we'll get through it. 

Take care of yourself!

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Good to hear from you again on the forum.

I feel for you on your frustration. But it will help you manage your stress levels if you ratchet back a bit on your expectations. Yes, we all want to come roaring back to a full, normal life. But often injured ankles have other ideas.

So take a few deep breathes and let some stillness wash over you. That's better.

As I have often said here, it is the ankle soft tissue injuries that can take so long to heal. They can be so fiddly and fickle in recovery because all these tissues are complicated and intertwined. I'm of course talking about nerves and nerve endings, muscles, ligaments, tendons, joint capsules, and all the other connective tissue baggage.

So pace yourself as you continue on road to full recovery. Make sure you do your ankle rehab exercises without fail in order to strengthen and stabilize the ankle joint.

You may consider an orthotic shoe insert or a light ankle brace to lessen stress on ankle until you are stronger. But don't consider them permanent-- they are just 'crutches' to tide you over.

• Posted

Hi kp, 

I was posting the other day about you! I was telling someone on here that you give very good advice. 

My stillness doesn't like to settle to much! LOL It gets very old. But now I understand. Three days of some pretty harsh pain just because I was stubborn. It doesn't quite seem worth the effort to me anymore. Just go with the flow... 

I am now understanding more and more of the "fickle and fiddly" terms you use! LOL  That I must just keep the focus! 

I am faithful in my PT exercises and some of my own, too.  And ankle brace? I wear one. Not the one the doc gave me it was to thick for a shoe, but I bought a nice one that does help. 

Thanks again, 

Rose biggrin

• Posted

Personally I try not to wear braces. I find that I rely on them too much or rather it's too easy to start relying on them. Speedy recovery smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.