one step forward and two back

Posted , 3 users are following.

OK I am not quite at the two week post op yet.

I had about 75 degree bend yesterday morning I find squatting down on a chair is the best method for me then bringing my leg back and squatting again until my leg seems to hit a brick wall.

After quite a bit of walking on my elbow crutches yesterday my leg is so stiff hardly 10 degree bend.

This is so frustrating.

I have an appointment back at the hostpital next Wednesday to see the physiotherapists.

I had my dressing changed last Thursday but it is still weeping is this normal.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes we tend to over do it. I am not a Dr. but in my opinion you did too much. In a way its like learning to walk all over again. I am very well aware of how things get to you once your home. Everybody tells you to exercise and that is great but do not over do it. The other day and I am almost 2 years po. the weather was great and I cut my whole lawn instead of taking a break between front and back. I can tell you for a fact I was in major pain. As its been mentioned before patience. As far as the weeping mine did for a few weeks then it stopped.  
    • Posted

Yes I think I did too much.

I noticed today I went for a walk into my workshop even taking a break now and then I needed to go inside and ice my knee.

What I don't understand is the physiotherapists get a 90 degree bend before they will discharge you but I have been unable to get anywhere near that since being home.

• Posted

Were they bending it for you or were you doing it on your own? If they were pushing and you were trying breath ( I never liked it when they tried to get max ROM ) ? How are your exercises coming? For some it takes longer you may have to do more of the ROM but you will get there. If you want I can suggest some that may help.
    • Posted

They had me with my back to the wall and sliding down but now my knee is so swollen it's like it's in a clamp it's more swollen since I got home when they got me to do leg lift I couldn't lift it off the bed so they held it up high and said hold it hold it again I couldn't no matter ow I tried and I really did try I ha e found squatting with a chair is best for me but I get it so far and it feels like it's in a clamp

• Posted

It sounds like they way over did it now your the one paying for it. I hope your icing frequently and taking your meds I thinks its safe to say it hurts quite a bit if not more !! Just a thought you might try not doing a lot of exercises for the next few days hopefully by giving it a break things will calm down to the point you can tolerate it again. If not then by all means tell the Dr. there is no way this can be your fault.
    • Posted

Thanks yes I believe they did push me hard. My second day they had me walk down a long corridor then down and up a flight of stairs probably 15 then back up. Going down with a elbow crutch in my right hand which is the operated then going up handrail to the right but holding on to both crutches in my left hand.i have a appointment to see the physiotherapists this Wednesday hope I don't see the same one again

• Posted

Maybe therapy is different between the US and the UK? The most I did with steps at first using a step to stretch put the bad leg on the 2nd step lean forward so you feel the stretch hold for 20 sec.s take a break do it 5 x when I started with steps it was one at a time up with the good down with the bad and yes I had to my share of them but not right away. Here I am 2years PO and I still hate steps. ( but my knee is far from normal.) Well we both use the same type of crutch I call them forearm crutches you call them elbow I just looked them up. I like these so much better then the old style that go under your arm pit they hurt after awhile. Hope they take is easy on you and really if your in lots of pain when your working with a therapist tell him or her they have no idea what your feeling.
  • Posted

My problem is  not the bend, my replacement was 14 yrs ago. I have had 3 bad attacks of gout and now my leg buckles with out warning when I walk. I don't know how they do it now but when my knee was done I spent 6 wks  in rehab 4 times a wk  my bending did not come fast. Good luck  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.