One step forwards two steps back after 6 weeks citalopram is this normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been on citalopram for 6 weeks, started at 5mg went up to 10mg 2 weeks ago, first 12 days on 10mg intrusive thoughts/OCD racked up, had a quite good day yesterday actually felt optomistic, today woke up and anxiety etc all back again. Is this normal to be up one day down next ? Haven't noticed much improvement yet but worse some days than others, did first try it few months ago then swapped to sertraline as it was affecting my hair, which was awful caused the OCD, then started back on the citalopram. Was only on it for couple months before though.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i have increased by 5mg over the last two months (2.5mg every 4 weeks to ease side effects) and am now on 10mg per day. 4 weeks ago was my last 2.5mg increase and I have been exactly the same. the first week or so I actually felt better then suddenly, teary, moody, down, and generally all over the place. the lockdown really isn't helping either. to be honest, it is very normal and can last a few weeks - hang in there and keep putting one foot in front of the other - way easier said than done, i know!

• Posted

Thanks good to know not just me, the first 10 or 11 days were awful on 10mg has eased from that really thought I'd turned corner yesterday but heigh ho. Does seem takes few weeks to adjust. The sertraline was awful gave me OCD type symptoms as well as intrusive thoughts so probably bit withdrawal from that and as you say lockdown doesn"t help!

• Posted

definitely not just you. it can be quite a lonely place in your own head, when you feel like this. some days i'm a bit bettet and others i feel defeated and like i'll never be me again but we must just work through this, i guess. lockdown is making the weeks drag for me but i walk every day and I garden a lot to try & stop in dwelling and constant inward thinking x

• Posted

How long have you been on them? my symptoms mainly intrusive thoughts due zopiclone withdrawal just get bit despondent not improved yet. Dose seem to take time unfortunately and have read recovery in withdrawal is non linear. Seems lot people don't improve until 3 months just hope 10mg is enough to make difference. Lockdown def not helping.

• Posted

i've been on and off for 10 years. had a lot of stress last couple of years so have gone up in dose as was only on 5mg a day but now worked up to 10mg a day. it would be so nice if we responded quicker to the tablets and seems so unfair when some people do. like you, i hope 10mg is enough but we just won't know until we give it quite a few weeks to level out i guess. dr wants me on 20mg but i just don't want to go through more side effects. such a shame you're dealing with withdrawal on top of Citalopram start ups. i think we'll have to give 10mg about 3 months won't we.

• Posted

Withdrawal caused all the thoughts etc was fine before new doctor made me go cold turkey after 12 years. Yes hoping can stay on 10mg as do seem quite sensitive to meds and seems rack up anxiety every change of dose. it is frustrating not seeing lot improvement yet but as you say do seems take while to work. Going out really difficult as get crazy thoughts msy have pushed people. zForgotten what normal feel like I was fine and functioning OK until was made stop the zopiclone so really hope they help soon!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.