One week post GreenLight - experience so far.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a little over one week post Green Light surgery. My doctor/nurse oversold the recovery process too much - but I expected it would be slower. Basically they said remove the catheter next day and enjoy life. Uh no - did not believe them.

I experienced postoperative myalgia (an anesthesia issue) which was VERY sore muscles in abs, back, shoulders, neck and jaw. It went away after two days - but felt like I had several days of military boot camp.

My stream was very bad before surgery. First week after surgery I have seen improvement but I have not achieved full "like a race horse" yet - more "like a Labrador retriever" but no more pushing - it just goes. No blood that I can see after third day. Urine color looks much improved then what I had before.

The biggest complaint I have was that after pulling the catheter the morning after I had a lot of incontinence for a few days - like 3-4 adult diapers a day. My issue before was a big urgency and then pushing out the urine - now I am having to learn how to go again. I am getting there - and using only one diaper (depends) a day now. I have read that it might take weeks for me and my bladder to get use to the new situation.

I have not tried the sexual function yet. While my doctor provided no exclusions on resuming sex - most places I read said wait two weeks. I am worried about Retrograde ejaculation - and discussed with my doctor who said he uses a "special sparing technique" that avoids retrograde for 90% of his patients. Will find out soon, but honestly with my bladder and kidneys under attack from having a full bladder all the time - its not like I had a choice. Still I would prefer to ejaculate when having an an orgasm.

Lab tests and doctor visit in another week.

P.S. not sure where everyone lives - but I am in Midwest USA.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your post. I am considering having the GreenLight Laser Therapy done. It concerns the hell out of me. I had a serious urine retention problem--the typical problem guys have with BPH. I was urinating but clearly not enough. I ended up in the ER with a blood pressure reading of 248/131. They took two liters of urine out of me and I have been using a catheter that is changed once a month. I had kidney infection, which is getting better. This has been going on since October 20. I am very concerned about having the surgery done and end up incontinent the rest of my life or even worse post problems. As is known, there are no guarantees with anything.

• Posted

I think its just learning to pee again normally. For several years its been fill to the brim/blocked up - urgent - push - get some out - repeat. Now I am dealing with such a "free path" I got to learn more subtle cues to go pee, to pee more regularly (I think I will just see), and how to hold back. I see progress as several days I go I was going through 4 pads a day - now its one or two. I also have special underwear (but does not look it) that can handle small leaks and just get washed. I My leakage is from bending over, getting up after sitting or some exertion. My kidneys were showing stage 2 disease and I have high blood pressure - I needed to get this relived one way or another. Thank God I am working from home for the next few months.

• Posted

Mark14649,

Was reading your posting of many months ago.

How are you doing with the BPH? Did you decide on a treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.