One week post surgery - removal of ovarian cyst and both ovaries via vertical incision + stents

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

As I am now post op I would like to both share my experiences and and ask for advice please.

i had surgery last Monday which entailed having urethra stents placed as well as the removal of an 8cm dermoid cyst and both ovaries.  Thankfully the surgery went extremely well initially but I had a few complications due to past health issues which resulted in a stint in Critical Care and a blood transfusion.  

That obviously set my recovery back a few days but I was finally discharged from hospital yesterday and am now on the up and up. 

Now don’t be put off by the set back, I am doing really well and am experiencing only slight discomfort.  I am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen and don’t expect to need them for long.  I had been particularly concerned about having a vertical cut but I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is.  

I have a couple of questions please -

1. Any advice on preparation for clip/staple removal.  I have counted 26 and am not looking forward to that! The consultant suggested I have them taken out over two days.

2. Has anyone else had to have stents put in and if so do you have any advice on that please?  I have to go back as a day case in a week or so to have them removed and am not looking forward to that either!!!

thanks all, and I am happy to give further updates on my progress if anyone would like that.

Jane x 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI Jane

I’m glad to hear you are on the way to recovery. 

I had a laparotomy in 2016 to remove a huge cyst and one ovary. The incision left me with around 60 staples. I wasn’t looking forward to the removal but can honestly say it was very quick and pain free. I had all mine removed in around 15 mins. I think you will be surprised how easily they come out. 

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery. 

Jenni 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response.  It is very reassuring. 

Jane 

• Posted

Hi, glad you are doing well. I had 50 staples and they took them all at once. However my wound hadn’t healed evenly and I ended up with parts that were open and had to heal from the inside out which meant it took 6 weeks for them to dry up and heal.  I would definitely say to urge them to take out every other staple and return to get the rest out. That should have happened with me but it was over  Christmas and they had to all be removed by day 14 which was New Year’s Day and we couldn’t get appointments! And time your painkillers to take about 15 mins before your appointmentm. The process itself was fine. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice.  It’s really helpful. Q
  • Posted

I have had the clips out (total of 31) and I was surprised at how little I felt it.  I was really dreading it but honestly it was nothing to worry about.

Now I am waiting to have the stents removed via a cystoscope on Monday.  Apart from that my recovery appears to be going really well.  I make sure I go to the upstairs bathroom every time I need to go to get some exercise.  I have started doing some light work around the house and am eating well.  

I can honestly say that apart from one day where I experienced wind pain I have not felt pain during this whole experience.  I still get tired and feel some discomfort but it isn’t even 2 weeks post op yet.

i think I’ve been very lucky. 

Jane 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.