One week since bunionectomy and have questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last friday i had a bunionectomy and bone spur shaved off my right great toe. My dr told me to stay off it but didnt think i would need crutches. Well in recovery i went to get up and ended up needing crutches. Im a week out as of today and have probably been on it more than im supposed to be. We live on a second floor apt and i have 4 dogs to take out to potty at least once until hubby gets home. By the time i get downstairs and in the yard my foot throbs and feels like its going to explode. Then when i get back upstairs i get these sharp shooting pains where my operation was for quite a while. Im still really swollen and the past few days the back of my calf is hurting. I cant take nsaids bc i have had bariatric surgery. So im limited on what i can take. Any advice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You need someone else to take your dogs out. What kind of bunion surgery did you get? I had a lapidus procedure done and osteotomy done in March. I felt pain especially along the bone of the big toe for a couple weeks even if I was elevated most of the day. I also still feel like a numb but slightly painful sensation along the incision for my first toe, they cut from the toe joint on top until a little past mid foot. You should be elevating and icing especially during the first week or two (depending on the severity) and only getting up to use the bathroom or quick trip to the kitchen. Elevate and ice.
    • Posted

I had an osteotomy as well. The thing is the dr. Didn't give me a whole lot of info as far as post-op instructions go. My paperwork said to call my dr for my postop. Didn't say when. I called my dr on friday bc of the pain I'm still having after walking just a short bit or standing on it. He had me go to the store get some supplies and rewrap it. Also had me text him a couple of pics. He said it looked red so he put me on an antibiotic 3 times a day. I'm going to see him in a few hours. After i get up from sitting whether my foot is elevated or not my leg turns a purplish color and it feels like blood is rushing to my incision area. Will def discuss that also. I've had a venous closure done in my right leg last october so I hope that's not hindering it.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your doc didn't really give you much post op care info. It sounds like your operation wasn't as extensive as mine but I would ice behind the knee (I don't think applying the ice directly on your foot is recommended) and elevate as much as possible. While it seems like you're able to put weight on your foot, the swelling is probably what causes the most discomfort especially just so recently out of surgery. If there's pressure on the incision area, be careful because it might open up if the swelling gets too great. I had that sensation as well for at least a month after my surgery, I had a cast on so I wouldn't be able to check but I always had my leg elevated when I had the chance. As for your venous closure, I'm not sure if that has any effect on your healing, I'm sure your surgeon would know.
  • Posted

I'm not sure what type of bunionectomy you had, but with some types you are permitted to be up and bearing weight on your foot -- it sounds like you had one of those types.  I had a lapidus bunionectomy and was non-weight-bearing for 6 weeks then partial-weight-bearing for 3 more weeks.  So I'm not sure how to answer some of your questions except to say that my surgeon, once I was permitted to bear weight, told me to let pain be my guide -- if it starts to hurt, then back off.  So yes, you may be doing too much.  Swelling from foot surgery takes a long time to go away -- I'm told up to a year (my feet are still swollen -- one surgery was 7 months ago, the other 4 months ago.)  I'm sure you were given instructions to elevate and ice your foot.  That should help, so be sure to do it.  The once thing that concerns me is that the back of your calf is hurting.  You might want to check with your doctor on that.  I had to take aspirin every day for 2 months to prevent possible blood clots.  I do think that my surgery was much more extensive than yours -- but please be careful about that pain in the back of your calf after surgery.
  • Posted

I don't know the procedure you had done, but it sounds to me like you are doing too much.

Find someone to walk your dogs, elevate and ice. I'm 4 weeks out and was ordered to be non weight bearing. I can't walk my 1 dog, much less 4. But we probably didn't have the same procedure. Ask your doc for his guidance.

• Posted

Hi, I had bunion Tony and big toe alignment 13 days ago. Saw consultant last Thursday and all going extremely well.

Main problem I have is the heel weight bearing shoe giving me back issues.

I stuck rigidly to elevating foot including through the night. I had to get up in the morning for myself and cat as no help till 11.00 am.

You definitely need help with dogs . Try the Cinnamon trust a charity that help the elderly and their pets but I'm sure they help people in need of temporary help like yourself. I am a volunteer with them.

Assuming you are in UK of course. Definitely worth a try, number on internet. I believe you will definitely hinder you recovery if you don't get help with dogs and elevate that foot.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.