One word answer only please

Posted , 15 users are following.

Ok so there's a few times now that I have read people say depression is an illness it can be cured however I belief it's a lifestyle I thing it can masked but not cures so allow me to explain them please chose the one you think it is with one word i.e. Illness or lifestyle just so we know

Illness- a temporary set back that can be treated and you become better suffering no after effects thereafter ( like a cold or infection)

Lifestyle- it becomes something you deal with you find ways best to cope it fades and some days you hardly notice it it becomes routine you can help it with things but it's always there.

Remember one word answer please which is it you you

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i wont answer in one word (because thats not really how this site works, feel free to ignore if you like).  Your starting with your own determination of what illness and lifestyle means - and everyones situation is different.  Depression can be either, or it can be both, its not as cut and dried as that
    • Posted

Thankyou jmcg2014 of course your right that its a matter of perception

I'm assuming then from your answer you do indeed know a person whom has had depression and has made a total recovery?

Thankyou again for your input and of course the educational value of the comment both on how the site works and of how cut a dry depression is i had no idea of its complexity until now!

Howwever I think you have mis-interpreted the question, I hope you don't find this to patronising although I feel the need to explain the question as one not to impose a point of view on to people I decided to break it down into two categories as it's seems apparent these two are opposing one suggests you can get better from depression the other suggests you'll always suffer from depression

My question is directed therefore not as from my perspective but merely asking others how they perceive it!!

To which you say you prefer not to answer in a one word answer however I couldn't help but to notice you haven't answered it in any words infact you have still in many words left me to make an assumption on what your answer is maybe you could clarify what your answer was exactly? Do you think you can get better from depression or do you think you'll have it forever? Is the question to clarify thanks look forward to your answer

Mike

• Posted

Hi again I'm sorry I also just wanted you to know as I noticed you informed me I could ignore your post I find it bad manners to ignore a post so that wouldn't happen if fact I believe if people ignored people less the depression wouldn't get as right of a grip on them. Although we may have apposing views on subjects I'd never ignore you for future reference I'd like to make that clear your point of view is as important as everyone else's thankyou again

Chat soon hopefully

• Posted

Lifestyle for the cronic , illness for those that have just one episode( exemple : you lose a close one, you can have a depression episode that can go away and never come back).

If the depression becomes cronic, i dont think it has a real cure.Managing it its the only way.

• Posted

Thankyou Sophie

I'm not sure that if you lose someone close to you that would be depression as much as griefthough again that may be my point of view although I do understand what you mean

Like I imagine post natel depression can happen once if you have one child etc so yeah very good point thanks x

• Posted

Illness
    • Posted

I hope you are right Phyllis you know I'd love to believe that are you better now as in no meds or do you know someone that is?

Thankyou

Mike

• Posted

For me personally Lifestyle.  For others it could be different. 

• Posted

For me to hypercat although most here don't seem to like it and have faith in the medical profession I fear we are paid lip service as Sophie said early I believe if it's an isolated incident i.e. Lost of a member of family or post natel then yes I think that can be cured over time however if it's a chemical imbalance in your brain can they ever get that right is my point maybe I didn't pick the best way to ask the question I'm trying to find out the success rate of treatment

• Posted

Hi Mike. I had never suffered from clinical depression before 2015, despite going through some traumatic events. In 2015 I had just retire and bought a condo Ioved. I should have been happy, but was falling into a deep depression instead. Doing anything seemed like torture. I didn't want to do anything or see anyone; I was completely dysfunctional. I wasn't eating or sleeping much and the three months I was in that state seemed like an eternity. My doctor, who had known me for over thirty years, referred me to a psychiatrist for evaluation. The psychiatrist diagnosed me with major depressive disorder with psychosis and committed me to the hospital for eight days. I have been taking mirtazapine and venlafaxine since July 2015 and I have my life back. My personality and emotions are the same as they were before I was sick, and I haven't had any relapses. If depression was caused by lifestyle instead of illness I would have suffered from it several times before and meds wouldn't have helped. I am so grateful I have meds that work for me. They really saved my life. People may have different reactions to the same medication, but they are my magic potion. 

• Posted

Not saying it's can't be a illness , but for me it 's.People and the past that's caused mine

• Posted

I hear that Donna same here although I hate to say your past shapes you I think you shape your self but it does define you there's no escaping experiences hence the word I used lifestyle

• Posted

Not sure if I got off lightly of my past with me having depression . Have many dark times but one me brother on hard drugs and the other one a alcholic. So what a mixture and all because of our past (parents) . I had depression for over 25 years and I feel it never go . So after all that time does that come in with it being a illness as well ?
    • Posted

I'd not say lightly at all I fact you probs all have depression the drugs and drink are normally a coping mechanism ( that's not to say try them hahaha)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.