One Year

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone it will be 1 year Nov 17 since my TKR on right knee what should I expect l know my knee gets stiff when not moving it but what else

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It improves with time, and lasts. My knees are 20 years and 18½ years old now and are causing no problems.

• Posted

Surprise!!! It's not a one year recovery...it's a LIFELONG recovery!!! Yes, the knee will get stiff if you don't keep it active. Long time TKR veterans will tell you this so make sure that walking and exercise are part of your routine. Any residual tightness should subside in the next 6 months along with any remaining clicking and popping sounds. All normal. Just keep the knee active.

The one thing that will take a long while or never fully resolve is the nerve pain when kneeling on a hard surface...so don't do that. Use a 4" foam pad indoors and padded tactical knee pads outside. This is NOT the knee but the damaged nerves. It may lessen over time but may never completely go away. At 2 1/2 years post-op, it's still a pain. Small price to pay for walking and being active without all that former knee pain.

• Posted

At 2 years post op I still have stiffness if I sit too long. I still have clicking but can kneel on my knee just fine. I have not had pain, though, so the rest is nothing compared to the pre-op pain. Keep moving and remember that we all have different experiences, recoveries and outcomes. It sounds like you are right where you should be so keep moving and keep those quads strong. 😃

• Posted

still continues to improve for months.

if you go to my profile there is info to help you locate my own knee story if want an extended insight into another person's experience.

im not on this site so much now... 20 months post op. so very grateful to be mobile again. such a blessing. every month goes by and I thank God and all those concerned who helped me get where I am now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.