One year after gallbladder removal, still having diarrhea. Any suggestions?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed in August 2016. I fought the idea of even having it out for more than a year before that - Feb 2015 was my first bout of what I thought was acid reflux but it was really a mild attack. After about 8 more serious attacks (and about 50 bottles of apple cider vinegar), two of which landed me in the hospital, it was determined that my gallbladder was giving me problems. August 2016 I finally had it taken out. My doc said it was inflamed to the point where it wasn't doing anything anymore (I have the pics). Fast forward to a year later - I'm still having diarrhea every day I go to the bathroom. I was on cholyesterol (sp?) for two months with no change. I'm taking Benefiber in the mornings & Digestive Advantage probiotic 4x a day now. Still no change. I cut out full caffeine coffee about 4 months ago, thinking the caffeine or creamer might be a problem (I stopped drinking coffee altogether). I drink tea in the mornings now. I'm so tired of having diarrhea for almost a year now. What else can I do? Am I destined to be the 1 out of 100 that has this for the rest of their lives? Please god, don't do that to me! Any advice, please!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You really have to watch the fat content in your diet - check the packets and labels - 3% fat and under. If I don't I have really bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea. Hope this helps!

• Posted

I find also that having too much liquid or even soup makes me either have D or that crampy have to go feeling. Yesterday I made a soup of low sodium chicken broth and cooked zucchini which I liquified. Tried it two days in a row both times felt D shortly after I ate? 
  • Posted

Have you tried Apple Pectin, I’ve heard that’s a binder. I’m having the same bowl situation with you with same kind of movements and first thing in the morning same. Im visiting liver bile  doctor next week in my area NYC hopefully they can help: I’m worried about malabsorption /food intolerances because I feel crampy and almost like I’m going to have D after a lot of meals. 
    • Posted

I have not heard of apple pectin. Have you tried it? Any success? I'd love to know what your doctor may have suggested since it seems we're having similar issues.

• Posted

Unfortunately supplements were making me worse so I decided to go see my GI. He prescribed me Welchol. I just started and it’s helping the Diarrhea for sure. I’m trying to take just one Welchol pill am and psyllium husks pm. The Welchol for me seems to cause some reflux and headache when I was taking more than one. So I’m trying to find kits the right dose, doctor said take as little as works or even every other day. We Have to soak up all the extra bile with soluble fiber. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.