One year after severe mono / mono like illness

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys, just posting an update. it has been one year since i became terribly sick with what doctors had no idea what it was, but if left me bedbound for months and i literally thought i was dying. click my name and scroll fhrough my many posts for the horrific details of my symptoms and hospitalizations and why i think its mono.

anyways. i started improving about 6 months in and very gradually came back to work. i am now back at work full time, socialize, shop, go for long walks. trust me, when i was 6 months in i was still so weak and breathless and i had feelings of depression and despair that if i wouldnt get better since it was so long with being so sick. so if youre going through this please read my story and relax and believe that you will be ok too might just take a few months. and since this thing is so

horrific i think many of us have a new appreciation for health and will want to come back and share your recovery to help others who felt the way you did.

rest whenever possible. meditate to calm your adrenal system (i know it sounds wishy washy but visualizing my body healing made me feel in control and calmer). avoid stress, i find that even to this day emotional stress makes my symptoms flare up here and there. i also went to accupuncture and a naturopath. not sure if this helped in my recovery but it got me out of the house and at least i felt like i had some hope and control.

take care of yourselves and thanks to the many kind people on this forum that were a great source of support !

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for posting your update. im sure everyone here recieves a lot of encouragement from reading it. i remember seeing your posts throughout this year that were often distressed, so its really cool to hear the positivity you have now. I bet you will continue to heal at an incremental pace provided you pace yourself.

I myself was about 85 percent better in June, and managed to really overdo my activity due to a rock climbing trip i went on, and have gone backwards a bit. Im really comitted to proper resting this time around.

All the best to you!

• Posted

hi nick,

i am so happy to read you were 85% normal i remember your posts too! im not surprised that you feel like you overdid it... when we start to feel normal again we want to jump right in and resume as normal. i still have to remind myself to relax when i feel my body getting tired or weak.. i believe your setback will improve much quicker than the initial healing you did. keep being patient and doing whatever you did the first time.. rock climbing is intense i think it would set me back too despite feeling better.

it will get better again Nick. hang in there 😃

• Posted

Thank you very much for that, its great to hear personalized encouragement from someone. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

yes its like 'one false move ' and it sets you back. i used to work out 1-2 hours a day and miss it sooooo much so i fully understand the need to do something you enjoy . it was my life and kept me in a great mental state and helped me sleep.

i know i can get back there one day... im not letting this virus scare me for the rest of my life !

• Posted

Just wondering how you have been doing Nick, I remember you going through an up and down period over the summer - I do hope that things are more settled now, but remember don't panic if it's still not fully there yet because things will come good again and you will get back to full health and exercise again, I do believe that. Thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Thats cool to hear. Thanks a million for taking the time to post this . I'm so happy for you to have your health back . It's stories like this that give the rest of us hope . This has been the most horrible 9 months of my life . Epstein Barr Virus is a life changing event that i don't think the doctors understand . THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU POSITIVE RECOVERY STORY.

• Posted

thank you for updating us .... it gives us all hope to hear a RECOVERY story and for those of us who are suffering right now we know there is HOPE!

im too at the 6 month mark and the last 2 months have been pure hell horrendous ... unbearable .

so happy to hear you have some quality of life back ! you deserve it ! and we all do too!

• Posted

So good to hear you are feeling better. One year seems like such a long time. I'm approaching month 8. I did notice a good recovery around 5 no the and I started to go back to work on a phased return. I kinda hit a level point where I felt the same everyday but something just didn't feel right. Then about a month and a half ago I took a major set back and since then it feels like I'm on a rollercoaster of recovery where I'm having good and bad days. Can't wait until it's all over and just try and get o with a normal life. I'm quite happy to take it easy, just want that feeling of one day where I can say I feel ok now.

• Posted

Dodge , Your story sounds so much like mine . I hope and cant wait for the day i can say I'm all good and back to normal . Its been a long rough road to say the least . Hoping for good times for all .....

• Posted

Hi Van,

Thanks so much for sharing your story and updating on how you've been doing. So pleased to hear that you've been feeling much better, I definitely hope others in the difficult phase right now can read your story and be reassured that things do get better from this horrible virus, and that it is normal for it to take some time but that you do get there eventually and get back to good health again.

Remember just continue to take things at the pace that's right for you right now, don't overdo things I was very similar after a year was starting to feel better but still needed to manage by activity and things, it's just different for everyone some folk seem to recover quicker than others, but even if it's a year or a little longer even for some people, please everyone know that you WILL get over this and get better, I believe that and trust God with that for everyone on the forum here whatever they're going through right now.

Craig

• Posted

That's very kind of you to come back and encourage others. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

• Posted

Haha 1 year, that sounds so nice. Im slowly aproaching 3 years.

• Posted

Oh Lob,

Just want you to know I'm thinking about you, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and have said a prayer for you today. Please do keep in touch Lob, message any time, I often wonder how you are doing and will keep asking God for his healing touch and breakthrough in your life and circumstances. I still believe God is going to strengthen you Lob and is going to bring a supernatural change. Please hang in there Lob, I do hope you have managed okay with move and everything and you got a friend here man. Praying for a breakthrough in Jesus' name.

Craig

• Posted

i am also approaching 3 years. have you had any improvement? i am about ready to give up on this thing. i went to see a different doctor yesterday. he is checking me for every virus known to man because he doesn't understand why i am still having trouble. i went through a lot of stress in the beginning with a bad divorce. i am beginning to wonder if i have a autoimmune disorder. i have a lot of cfs symptoms. i hope you are improving.

• Posted

Hi Brent,

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers at the moment, remember please don't give up - it's okay to rest and take a step back and just hand it over to God. That's not giving up, goodness only knows how weary you must be and have been through so much.

Still thinking about you Brent and up and down myself with my own issues too, just sometimes wondering if I will ever get there at times with situations going on for so long as well.

I know how wearying and upsetting and draining it can be seeing different doctors and struggling to find breakthrough. But still believing breakthrough is there for you Brent, and us both. Still trusting God, asking Him to help us through - I know I've messed things up so much and praying for God's mercy and touch and hope in our situations today. Thinking of you Brent and remember not to be so hard on yourself, you didn't do anything wrong whilst recovering, I know you think you overdid things at times but we all do that. I still believe there is hope and recovery on its way in your life and circumstances thanks to Jesus. Hang in there Brent and remember resting and taking a step back isn't giving up - sometimes we just need that extra breathing space and to take things slower for a while.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.