One year Anniversary of the Mono Invasion

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all!  I thought today would be a good day to check in.  It's been one year to the day that I was driving and almost fainted in my car- which then started me on this long road ahead.  

Some things I've experienced:  The first 3-4 months are by far the worse.  The acute phase is awful.  Once you power through that- you can get through anything.  

I've had so many doctor visits, blood draws, tests, scans that I've lost count.  I feel like a pin cushion!  But getting a good doctor (I like ND's personally) IS SO IMPORTANT.  Seriously, they will make you feel less crazy and more proactive about your health instead of just 'waiting it out'.  Enough with that nonsense.

I'm still not back to normal.  I have days where maybe I'm 80% there though!  But those days I tend to get all crazy and try to play a lawn game or do some aggressive cleaning and that tends to set me back for a few weeks.  We still don't know if I have developed post viral fatigue or what.  I did have an extensive micro nutrient test done and found out I'm deficient in biotin!  And borderline deficient in folate, glutathione and l-cysteine.  So I'm on hardcore supplements and in two weeks I get my first vitamin IV therapy! 

My symptoms I still get are: muscle pain and weakness, all over body fatigue, pins and needles in arms/legs,stiff neck, stomach upset (mainly bouts of nausea/loose stool), occasional anxiety.  I still can't tolerate caffeine very well.  And acupuncture has helped with anxiety but it tends to make me relapse for 3-4 days.  

I'm mostly a bunch of medium days with the a few good days and a few bad-bed ridden days per month.  Not as far as I'd like- I still can't work- but not as sick as I was.  

I just want to say that I'm proud of all of us.  We are fighting a war man.  This is the sickest I have ever been but it hasn't killed me and it hasn't killed my hope that I'll get better.  It's not easy and it's so isolating.  But that's why I'm so thankful for all of you.  Know that you are strong.  Know that you are not alone.  And one day down the road we will look back on this part of our life and never ever take health for granted again.  Much love-

Lisa

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Lisa, it’s good to hear from you again! I’m glad you have made some progress and you have been doing great and you will fully recover! I believe that and for you I don’t think you have CFS as for the fact hat you have been recovering so well. I think that you should be close to the finish line! 

I have been going through this terrible part where all is overall getting worse and I’m worried it is CFS or is becoming CFS, because I had a setback in late may/June and it’s been 2 .5months with no improvement just getting worse, it won’t settle or get back on track and just keeps going on and on and I’m so worried right now. I’m at month 6 and feel worse than I felt in month 1. I don’t know what’s going on but I’m really worried it is CFS and this will keep going on and on and won’t get back on track like how it was in May. (I was feeling around 70% in may then things all went crashing down). People say that the first six months are the worst but right now I’m really worried what’s coming next is going to be worse! 

But I have been thinking about you and how you were doing Lisa! I am struggling so much right now and I’m so worried because I should be feeling this worse at 6 months when I am feeling worse than I did in month 1. But again I’m glad your doing better and still rooting for you. 

Youngboy

• Posted

Hey young boy! As always thank you sooooo much for your encouragement. Especially while you feel so crummy. It means a lot. 

If it’s any help- I have had really bad relapses too. After a decent January and early February I had a huge relapse that lasted 6 weeks. And then April started to get better and May was mediocre and then I started acupuncture and I’ve been fighting a relapse ever since. It sounds like you beat the acute phase and maybe it wasn’t super horrible but your body relapsed and for whatever reason it’s screaming at you to take it easy so you don’t relapse again. So hard.  I finally gave in and said I’ll givr this a year then I’ll reevaluate. Sometimes taking the expectation of recovering anytime soon can take some of the pressure and stress off. And maybe that will actually speed up recovery.

Thinking of you! I wouldn’t worry about chronic fatigue yet.  You’re still under the year mark and it’s super normal to feel so crappy. The virus is sneaky and tricky and constantly morphing causing different inflammation and symptoms in our systems. 

• Posted

Hey Lisa, 

Thanks for your thoughts, and I am still thinking about you too! How much can you do? Is walking not a problem for you now? Hoping for the end soon for you Lisa! And I’m believing it will be soon for you!

And thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot. I’m really worried that I won’t have a lot of improvement when I’m at the 1 year mark though, like it’s worse than even like I started over, because I’m not even making improvements! It’s justgetting worse, and I’m really worried it’s more than just a setback, you know? 

Anyways sorry for talking so negativity, but things are really hard right now and things are getting harder! I don’t know how I went from doing so well and so much improvement, to being worse than the first month and to everything just getting worse with no improvement. 

• Posted

Yes I can walk. Even on my sickest days I’ll force myself out of bed. Not a ton of walking but I can go to the grocery store, clean the house, take a shower, take on flight of stairs without too much trouble. Im not fast though. 

What are your symptoms? 

• Posted

Hey Lisa,

That’s improvements! And you will keep improving until you can do all the things you love again. 

Mostly for me, the fatigue and lack of energy and I can’t make get my energy back. And dizziness, brain fog, and I also feel as I have like a muffled cold always, like a feeling where it feels like a cold is coming but it never fully comes. 

Mostly it’s just the fatigue and where I can’t do anything anymore or it will get worse, last year I didn’t have to miss school, (I first got mono right in the start of February), but now it all got so much worse and I’m not going to be able to go to school after summer.

In May, I was at my best and was feeling about 70% and would hangout with friends a lot, school was a piece of cake, just no running or jumping or stuff. 

But everything changed for the worst and I’m really worried it is not going to get back on track and start improving and for the past 2 months after it all crashed, there hasn’t been any improvement and it is getting worse, I keep losing my energy and I am so worried. 

I haven’t been close to where I was in May since I crashed, and it keeps on getting farther away and gets worse. 

Have you been able to work at all?

• Posted

Yes the fatigue is , in my opinion, the absolute worst. Unlike anything I’ve ever felt. And it’s not just fatigue it’s this flu like feeling too. I hate it and get super sad when it strikes hard. I totally understand you.  

My brother n law first got mono at 15, then got shingles from it, recovered after a year only to get mono again at 17! He’s 32 now and totally healthy. He said the second round with mono was a piece of cake compared to the first. And he was able to play soccer his 11th and 12th grade year. So you totally got this! As frustrating as it is, you will recover and you’ll get your life back smile 

I’m an actor so it’s pretty hard for me right now. I’ve done 5 jobs total this last year- about 7 working. I booked a job a few weeks ago and right before the shoot I had to back out because of a relapse. So so sad. 

So no I’m not working right now. I’m actually trying to find some side writing jobs I can do from home! My brain fog has mostly gone. Except for the occasional brain farts. 

• Posted

Hey Lisa,

That really shows how hard you have worked and I 100% believe in you! 

And I know with he fatigue, trust me, when I was younger I had played so many basketball games with 102  fevers with the flu, and even though I felt bad, the fatigue wasn’t nearly like this where it gets worse and worse if you do anything. THat fatigue was just there and present but it didn’t get worse and set me back farther. But mono does.

And thanks for the encouragement, I am worried I am going in a terrible direction and I am worried it isn’t going to improve or get back on track. 

The way things are going is so bad and won’t improve and they keep getting worse. 

And speaking of your brother in law, right as I read that part I got a phone call from my brother in law checking in on me😂. 

Also that’s cool your an actor, must be tough though, it’s hard enough getting a role, but telling the director that you have mono and can’t do much active stuff makes it hard too. 

I think you said something about you felt about 80% in January, but then it got worse and hasn’t gotten that good yet? How is that going? I’m wondering because in May I was feeling better too but it all went downhill and Keeps going downhill. 

Anyways I’m still thinking about you and we believe your gonna get through this!! You already are so far and you will keep improving!

Youngboy

• Posted

Hey Young Boy,

Lisa is absolutely right, these awful relapses can happen and it is totally normal for things to feel so severe and frightening inside the first year, try not to worry about how you'll feel after a year or whatever, just take it each day at a time, this phase you are going through right now can be the worst for sure when it's been going on for many months and progress seems halted or backwards - but it does pass and things do settle and improve again - but try not to ponder too much on everything, if you can find things to distract yourself each day that don't take lots of energy or stress, even just seeing friends and going for walks, etc, as I know you have been - anything to take your mind off this is good, and just be sensible not to overdo it also. Still believing 100% you're going to get better, not waivering in that view whatsoever having experience it myself and read other people's stories of the awful times and then the recovery. 

Craig

• Posted

Hey Craig,

Thanks for the amazing words your guys help means so much the situation just keeps getting worse, before I could walk for miles and now I lost it all and can’t even go for a walk. 

It’s so frightening because I can’t control anything and things keep getting worse over months. 

Thank you so much for the help, I just am so sad and tired, I don’t know what to do. 

I didn’t ever imagine things getting on such a bad direction, and I am worried my body just doesn’t know what to do and will keep all this fatigue and not get better.

• Posted

Hang in there Young Boy, I think that is the worst part just feeling out of control it's so scary I know. BUT this is not how it's going to be or end, there IS hope still and IS recovery still because of God - I still believe that for you and as a young man you are going to have lots of healthy and happy times ahead - thinking of you!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

i haven't been on here a while.....maybe because I'm feeling so much better!!

when I hit the year mark I did have a good 9 weeks but symptoms did come back for a couple of weeks, no where near as bad but fatigue and low mood rears its ugly head occasionally. I just want to reassure you that this will go....I was told at the year mark by an endocrinologist that I would have another 6-12 months before I'm completely better.....it's definitely going....I'm on a 5 week run of complete normal was now, I am just hoping that it doesn't come back at all.....its 1 year 7 months now.

i had so many doubting times but looking back I can see how the journey has gone and how well I am now.

you will get there, I know it.

caroline xx

• Posted

Hey Caroline,

It is great to see a post from you and to see that you are having a good spell at the moment. Really hoping that this can continue and that the horrors of this virus can be behind you once and for all! Thinking of you still and do keep in touch!

Craig

• Posted

Caroline!! Hello there! This is the best news! I’m so happy for you! What a nightmare you went thru. And you did it. Beat it and came out the other side! I know you have some young ones too which must have been so tough.  You give a ton of hope to me and a lot of people here.  I can’t wait until I can do the same! 

I keep thinking of how you’d walk the dog every morning and I want to put a walking routine in and see how I do. So far walking is ok for me.  

I look forward to the day I don’t wake up with weak limbs and fatigue. And can do yoga again.  Hoping this year brings that! 

Thanks for checking in. It means the world ❤️

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

ahhh, your message made me smile!!

you will get there I know it, don't put too much pressure on yourself. When you do sort of give in and give yourself some time for recovery it does lift the pressure and I definitely think a good positive mental attitude helps.

i did have lots of days when just sometimes I couldn't walk the dog as I was so breathless and fatigued but try not to get upset (I did, how can you not!?)  but try not too.... The symptoms do pass. I have really long stretches of goodness now.

i still haven't done any aerobic exercise but I'm not putting the pressure on myself.and also maybe a little scared of feeling worse...... I do everything else normal and that's good enough for this year!! Maybe when the stretch is long enough then I'll try!!

ill keep in touch on here.

caroline x

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I've been logged out my iPad a few times, forgot my password etc.....I will keep in touch on here.  And thank you for your kind words again. You really are a massive support here.

i do hope it's gone for good but I do have to expect tired times then I won't get too despondent.

thanks craig

caroline xx

• Posted

Hey Caroline,

Great advice and encouragement,

I totally get the worries about you think if you do to much you will feel worse or get worse again, don’t put any pressure on yourself and slowly start. 

Good for you that you are better again! Definetly proud! 

I get what you mean by your bad days, I had a massive crash about 2.5 months ago where everything went downhill, and it keeps getting down hill and over the past 2 months there hasn’t been improvement and I’m super worried that it is CFS and I feel even worse than I did in month 1 and it keeps getting worse. Hoping for some advice or encouragement!! 

• Posted

Thanks Caroline, yes it's hard to not feel discouraged when you hit a blip or even a down day, you fear those feelings and emotions and symptoms coming back again I know. But your body does get to that stage eventually where it is fully strong again and can cope with normal life, it is great you are doing so much better, and the further the months and years you go away from the day of infection, the less the full emotional and physical effects of this virus will be there and eventually it will fade into the past and stay there forever.

Yes definitely keep in touch!!

Craig x

• Posted

Hi young boy,

i think, quite understandably, I'd feel really worried and anxious at the prospect of feeling worse and not seeing any improvement...how long have you been sick?

maybe try and forget how well you've done and start from now again. Go right back to the beginning and do little everyday, even if it's just a shower and then build from there..... I mean, I have no medical knowledge but I think I'd try this strategy myself. Try not to worry that you have had a relapse, maybe this relapse seems worse as you were initially doing really well?! It's hard sometimes to know how you're doing!!

do you keep a dail diary?! I did and I think it was helpful.

Definately don't believe in cfs though... tell yourself you're not having that and that you are getting better!!

Because you will get better. 100%

caroline xx

• Posted

Hey Young Boy,

Caroline is a wise gal, she's been through it all the awful lows and terrible depths of this virus, the things you are going through right now - and she's right that you are going to get better 100% and that CFS is not something that is occurring here - definitely I believe you're going to get over this and be healthy again and some good tips as always from Caroline to heed!

Thinking of you today,

Craig

• Posted

Hi Caroline, 

Thank you for the encouragement, So far I have been ill for 6 months, and before, every month I would make lots of improvement. But I’m really worried that it’s changing where I’m not going to make good progress monthly. Because I initially crashed and felt much worse than I had been, and then over the next 2 months it just got worse without improving, and now I feel worse than I did in month 1, and it keeps getting worse. 

Oh, and I can just remember stuff I was able to do, like In March I could hangout with my friends and go for long walks, April I could walk more and do a bit more, and even in the first weeks of getting mono I was still at school but now I won’t be able to go to school, so that’s how I know it’s worse than month 1. 

But I’m really worried this is more than a relapse where it ruined all my old progress and I won’t make the same amount of progress back.  

And thank you as well Craig, the encouragement that you give everybody on here is wonderful. 

• Posted

Young Boy,

Your encouragement to others on the site despite feeling unwell yourself has been amazing, and your goodness and kindness shines through for all to see - God sees that and must be pleased with you I feel sure!

A good thing to remember is that when relapses happen, it can feel like all the progress from before is lost - but it's not so, because each relapse in a strange way can actually be a good sign, a sign that something is happening and your body is working to get on top of this, and once each relapse is over your body is better equipped and stronger to deal with the virus - I really hope and believe your body will come out of this tough phase right now stronger and I really pray on the road to full recovery. Thinking of you!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for the great words Craig,

Oh and your encouragement is so amazing! You have been helpful to people for over 10 years on here. That shows so much. I believe god will help you too! 

Craig

• Posted

Oh well not quite 10 years it's just been a year or so have been on these forums! But it's because I remember how horrid this virus was and want you and everyone to know that there is hope and there is recovery and it doesn't last forever. I know it's hard to see and believe that when going through it and dealing with such awful symptoms day to day and week to week. Hang in there Young Boy and thanks so much for your kind words, I believe God will help you too and Jesus is going to bring healing to your situation (decree 31 is a good one).

Craig

• Posted

Ohh gotcha Craig. I thought it was since you had mono haha. 

But still being on here everyday for a whole year is still so much. And the thought that you put in your messages are amazing. My point was that god knows how great of a man you are, and he will protect you and help you!

• Posted

Thank you for deciding to come back on the site. You have really helped a lot of people. After all those years what made you decide to log on again? Just curious. God works in mysterious ways.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for these kind words Young Boy, well I've had extra time on my hands right now so it's been easier for me to be on, often I feel like I'm not doing enough with my time so the forums have helped me too just to be on and chatting with nice people who want to help each other. 

I really hope and pray that God looks after you and everyone on the forum Young Boy, you've been through such a tough time and to deal with this at such a young age is something so hard, I found it really hard and I was in my mid 20s, to deal with it as a teenager is awful to have to go through and want you to know I still hope and believe that you are going to get better - God knows the situation you're in and He knows your daily needs, it's hard when the answer to our prayers doesn't come right away or always in the way or at the time we expect, but I believe God does hear your prayers and cries for help Young Boy and He will come through for you - hang in there and trust Him.

Thinking about you today and hoping for a good and settled one!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Brent,

I was pleased to see your name pop up on the forum, wondering how you are doing as I know you have had a particularly rough time with this and been through the absolute mill with this. I really hope things are a bit better for you, still believing in your recovery and that God will heal you. 

I've still been going onto the forum fairly regular, it may just be I've not been on this thread or whatever for a while, I tend to rely on my e-mails and if a new post comes in a thread then I will go on and read it and hopefully make a post. 

Hope you are well Brent and definitely God works in mysterious BUT good and wonderful ways - and I really hope and pray for your full recovery.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Craig,

Thank you for the lovely words, 

I don’t know why it’s going on like this and why my body is working like this. And Why I have only been seeing decline. 

Oh and it’s great that you have been helping out on the forums Craig, it shows so much empathy in you and shows how much you care. 

I’m thinking about you Craig hang in there my friend!

Youngboy

• Posted

You really don’t realize how much you have helped me and so many others. When I got mono I was going through a bad divorce. I got so sick. There was so many nights that I wanted it all to end. Your words gave me hope. I am not 100 percent, but I am better than what I was. God has truly used you. I hope that everything is going well for you. I am still reading everyone’s posts. I have been kinda numb to a lot of things lately, so I haven’t made many comments. To everyone on this site, stay strong and thank Craig for his words of encouragement. He has helped a lot of people.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Young Boy, you really have shown such courage in how you've been dealing with this and coming on the forums and encouraging others despite what you're going through right now - amazing!

I know it's so hard to understand this virus, the best thing is not to try to understand it and just deal with one step and one day at a time - if you're having a bad day or tough spell within a day, just try and rest and take a step back if you can and remember it will pass over - if you're having a better day, don't overdo it either, but just eat well, take vitamins, get plenty of sleep and rest, all the boring things I know you know and have been doing - it's so hard to be patient with this thing but time is a great healer of this, frustrating as it is to live out each day without much change, change and improvement does come over time, even if it feels it's not heading in the right direction now, it WILL happen and you WILL get over this and get better again.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks so much for your wonderfully kind words Brent, it means a lot and I remember from your posts how deeply you were suffering and how awful a time you were going through. I remember also how people helped me so much during this virus and gave me hope and encouragement when I was struggling so hard to see any myself, and I really want others to know that there is hope and there is recovery.

I still believe you're going to get back to 100% or as near as Brent, and that recovery is going to keep on happening and that you are through the worst of this horrible time. Thinking about you and thanks so much for what you said, I'm grateful for it and know how badly this virus affected me physically and mentally and emotionally and want others to know that there is health and recovery and life after mono, and that God is the great healer!

Craig

• Posted

Oh thanks so much for the tips Craig! I’m still thinking about you as well Craig. How has it been for you recently? Any improvements at all? It must be hard for you Craig, just hang in there and remember you will improve! 

I and many others appreciate your messages so much Craig! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.