One year Anniversary of the Mono Invasion

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all!  I thought today would be a good day to check in.  It's been one year to the day that I was driving and almost fainted in my car- which then started me on this long road ahead.  

Some things I've experienced:  The first 3-4 months are by far the worse.  The acute phase is awful.  Once you power through that- you can get through anything.  

I've had so many doctor visits, blood draws, tests, scans that I've lost count.  I feel like a pin cushion!  But getting a good doctor (I like ND's personally) IS SO IMPORTANT.  Seriously, they will make you feel less crazy and more proactive about your health instead of just 'waiting it out'.  Enough with that nonsense.

I'm still not back to normal.  I have days where maybe I'm 80% there though!  But those days I tend to get all crazy and try to play a lawn game or do some aggressive cleaning and that tends to set me back for a few weeks.  We still don't know if I have developed post viral fatigue or what.  I did have an extensive micro nutrient test done and found out I'm deficient in biotin!  And borderline deficient in folate, glutathione and l-cysteine.  So I'm on hardcore supplements and in two weeks I get my first vitamin IV therapy! 

My symptoms I still get are: muscle pain and weakness, all over body fatigue, pins and needles in arms/legs,stiff neck, stomach upset (mainly bouts of nausea/loose stool), occasional anxiety.  I still can't tolerate caffeine very well.  And acupuncture has helped with anxiety but it tends to make me relapse for 3-4 days.  

I'm mostly a bunch of medium days with the a few good days and a few bad-bed ridden days per month.  Not as far as I'd like- I still can't work- but not as sick as I was.  

I just want to say that I'm proud of all of us.  We are fighting a war man.  This is the sickest I have ever been but it hasn't killed me and it hasn't killed my hope that I'll get better.  It's not easy and it's so isolating.  But that's why I'm so thankful for all of you.  Know that you are strong.  Know that you are not alone.  And one day down the road we will look back on this part of our life and never ever take health for granted again.  Much love-

Lisa

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

thanks for sharing your update, it’s good to hear that you have more medium or good days than bad. This virus is so up and down and it’s so easy to tire yourself out even when you have better days. You really never think about how important your health is until you get a nasty virus like this, and then it changes everything. I think the anxiety this virus gives you also makes it so much worse. When you feel so unwell you just want some peace of mind but the mono just causes so much worry! It’s strange to think that there was once a time when I wasn’t constantly anxious. The worrying seems to come In phases for me where I will be anxious about one particular thing for a week, then forget about it and something else will take its place. But remembering that this will not be forever and it WILL pass and that goes for everyone else on the forum too! 

Take care everyone,

Dominika 

• Posted

Great advice Dominika! Keep hanging in there and we are all thinking about you! And yes the anxiety definitely makes things worse, but it’s hard not to be anxious when feeling so unwell. And yeah I know, before I got sick I always just expected to have good health, and I did have a healthy lifestyle especially for a kid, I would eat good food and get sleep but not because I was afraid of getting sick it was just because I wanted to be in good shape for basketball. 

But yeah after I got sick I would tell my friends just be happy that your healthy and that you can do the things you love because you never know when they can be taken away from you!

• Posted

Hey Dominika! Thank you for the response! Yes the anxiety is awful. Absolutely terrible.  Mine always comes on the heels of really bad symptoms.  It’s good to get on some adrenal support.  The anxiety absolutely taxes your adrenals.  I’ve worked really hard to keep myself calm as much as possible! Especially since I know how it can halt progress.  Acupuncture has helped with my anxiety thank goodness! 

I hope you are well on your way back to good health! 

• Posted

Hey CJ / Young Boy / Lisa / Dominika,

Reading all your messages there, it is so great to see the support everyone is giving each other, everyone on the site really has shown so much courage and help for others despite what going through themselves. 

CJ agreeing with Lisa that is amazing you've been able to work through this horrible virus, definitely if you can get more sleep and if possible at all to cut down work hours even, I know it's not always easy to do such a thing though. The lymph node pain and fever bothered me right throughout the 9-10 months that things were particularly tough for me, but want to reassure that they definitely do go away and it is normal to have these symptoms still after 7 months and then go on to make full recovery - it is so easy to worry that other stuff is at hand I did so much but the symptoms of this virus are so intense it does that to you but they do get better with time!! Thank you so much for your prayers for me and everyone CJ, means a lot and keeping everyone here in my thoughts and prayers too. As Young Boy says God is definitely a healer and believing He is going to help everyone here through and back to good health and peace again. 

Definitely agreeing with you Dominika and Young Boy that you realise when going through something like mono that your health is your wealth - we all take things for granted when going well, and in the really tough times like mono you can often look back at other relatively minor things you worried about before and say why did I spend any time worrying or bothering about something so trivial! But guys there is recovery from this thing there really is, it is so hard to get through but you will get through it everyone here I truly believe that and pray for God's help for everyone today and each day. Big hugs for all!

Craig

Young Boy definitely God is a great healer and believing 

• Posted

Great words as always Craig, 

And yes my mom used to always tell me health is Wealth. Thank you for the encouragement Craig, you have helped so many people on this site Craig. 

• Posted

Thanks too for your encouragement also Young Boy - I definitely still believe you're going to get better, God doesn't want you to worry and just wants you to trust Him and ask for His help. Thinking about you and hoping that things feel settled today, remember this whole situation is temporary and you will get back to being the healthy and active young man that God wants you to be again!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.