One year later

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 65. A year ago this forum kept me sane while waiting for a total abdominal hysterectomy.  I had had a chequered history of bowel and ovarian symptoms. After insisting on further investigation I was found to have an ovarian cyst (which was renamed a benign tumour after my operation). By this time I had really slowed down, was tired all the time and could only wear tracksuit trousers which were also becoming tight. Anyway, op was ok. Bikini cut and no stitches externally. I walked a bit more each day to help recovery and had no problems. I didn’t get instantly slim and had to buy larger trousers.  However, it was at the 10 month mark that I finally realised that I felt good - really good. We bought electric bikes and have cycled miles. I lost 7 pounds (but am still overweight) and suddenly realised that my pre op jeans were too big. Ladies, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I wish you all well. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had mine in June this year. I'm still swollen ....I have spinal issues so can't exercise much. How long do you think it'll be before my swelling goes down?

• Posted

I went away in caravan to Italy 5 months after op. Not going to pretend it was easy but we adapted by not climbing to top of towers etc. Toilet block was up a steep slope so that got me moving but still bloated. Another caravan holiday at 9 months coincided with buying bikes but I still felt ‘heavy’ when climbing. However since then noted difffence in tummy size and weight started  to drop without diet. So pleased I am now wearing jeans I abandoned before finding out what was wrong with me. Tried to help by joining slimming world which really works but no will power so going to rely on modifying diet along SW lines and cycling when weather permits and hope for the best. Don’t give up hope. I thought bloated fat was going to be me for rest of me life and then it changed. Still overweight but hey ho. I want to enjoy life and I think we should be kind to ourselves and do just that
  • Posted

I am glad to hear from you and to learn that you are doing so well!  Please keep checking into the site!  We need you! xx
    • Posted

Thank you. I think the major thing I have learned over this last year or so is that doctors may not always be right. Sometimes you just know when something is wrong. Luckily once I had reached that stage the doctor listened. He asked me what I was worried about - I said cancer but added that my mother had benign tumours which blocked her bowel and I did not want to get to that state (she recovered after surgery but it was awful). He ordered the tests. That lovely doctor has left our surgery and everything now is lacking in human empathy. ☹️ The internet ( and this website) helped me try to work out if it was my bowel or ovaries that were causing problems. Sadly it was both but the bowel issue may have overshadowed the ovarian issue had I not queried it. We need to stand strong. Even my consultant said I many get a ‘ bit of bloating’. I honestly felt that if someone else suggest in what seemed a trivial way, that a ‘ bit of bloating’ was ok, I would punch them!

Ladies , stand strong!

• Posted

You got that right!  Sometimes, you know what you know, and you have to make your doctor listen.  If they don't, you need to find another doctor!  

As I said, please keep checking into the site!  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.