One year new knee anniversary

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted but it's my knee anniversary today so a special day😁. I've hung in there and I'm constantly seeing improvements. It has taken this long to get rid of that tight band feeling you experience around the knee. No idea what my flexion is nowadays but I know it's better than 90 degrees. The scar is still purple so I'm guessing it's still healing even after all this time, what are people's thoughts? Is it fully healed when the scar turns white?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm just into month 7 and can't wait until I get to 1 year, just to get rid of the continual tightness.

Go to the gym 3/4 times a week and work out from cycling to rowing , leg presses and anything else my pt has given me, can do a little tennis, doubles only.

How I long for my knee to be normal.

Lovely to read that there is light at the end of this tunnel (hell hole)...

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. You're much more active than I was at your stage 😂. I've joined a gym to try and gain muscle mass on my operated leg and lose weight. It's all about preserving this knee x

• Posted

Not sure about scar.  I’m 8 mths post op and mine is pinkish.  Were u still hurting at 8 mths??    I am....  and were u stiff somewhat stiff at 8 mths????
    • Posted

At 8 months if I overdid things I got pain and stiffness and still do but I get away with doing more and more. If I look at both my legs there is still a lot of muscle loss on the operated leg, just by walking on it is not helping gain muscle mass so I have joined a gym. Hope that helps x
  • Posted

I passed the year mark too, and my knees are fine but my thighs ache. I have RA, and think it might be from that. In fact, I am rheumatologist now, waiting to find out. I walk like Dracula. You just cant win it seems. But knees are great. Did them 4 months apart. Left one was great. Right one was more troublesome. But both are healed.
  • Posted

Nine months for me and I'm feeling really good.  So good in fact that sometimes it's hard to remember how bad the first few weeks and months were.  Definitely a positive thing I did for myself.  Some days it doesn't even feel like I had my knee operated on.  Now if all the other aches and pains would go away!  haha  

• Posted

Congratulations on getting through the first year!  

I am at about 9 months post op and my most of scar is still purple. I have had two surgeries on my right knee before the TKR and already had a big scar from them opening me up (this was in the days before Arthroscopy surgery) so the surgeon warned me that he was going to use that same scar as a starting point and since there was already scar tissue on scar tissue it would take a very long time to heal.  So the part where he cut over the old scar is still purple and the new incision section is white.  Not sure if that helps you...but I know I have been wondering if the rest of scar is ever going to heal.  

• Posted

Hi, I think we had our operations at approximately the same time & have conversed before.   My scar has been white for a long time however I’ve had other issues. 😡

My knee is very clunky and still stiff!  I’m now waiting for my other knee to be done, really hoping it’s not as bad as the first! It’s amazing how there are so many different outcomes & at different times!  Welcome to the one year Anniversary club!  Sharon x

• Posted

Hi Sharon yes I think we did have our operations around the same time, good to hear from you. Sorry you're having issues though. Mine does clunk sometimes when I walk and gets stiff if I've overdone things. That's why I'm concentrating on building the muscles around the knee to help it support my weight. I've changed jobs recently still in the nursing game but moved from critical care to endoscopy ( just a bit different) one procedure is done under x-ray conditions and you have to wear a lead apron which weighs a ton. My knee was very painful and stiff after an afternoon with that on so I came to the conclusion if I strengthened my muscles and lose weight I would be in much better position. I'm going to try it x

• Posted

Oh, and BTW I have tried a lot of the items mentioned on this site...Bio-oil being one that I can remember and nothing has seem to help me.  
  • Posted

I’m really happy  for you.. I’m 8 months on my right, only a little stiff around knee.. 6 1/2 on my left and I am still fighting the tightness on the knee making it difficult to bend... I’m told to give it time so I just keep working it.. I really hope I can get to a day where I’m not reminded I had this done.. my scars are skin color not purple..

Best of luck to u..

• Posted

Congratulations...I just popped back to the forum today..I am now 19 months, my scar is now getting silvery but still looks purple at the lower end.

Enjoying life immensely, now I can walk for hours. So grateful..

Great to hear you are still experiencing improvements. I think I have reached my peak now...still had more improvements after 12 months, especially in relation to strength and how long I could walk.

Congratulations☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.