One year on.

Posted , 9 users are following.

It was my hippy anniversary on the 17th of this month and I had my year check at the hospital this morning. One x-ray later and chat with the consultant, everything fine.  Have to see someone every year for the next 15yr to keep a check on it.

Must admit the first few weeks were not good and the lying on the back for 11 weeks was so difficult but it has been so worth it. No pain, more mobility.  I can go walking with no trouble. Did 14 mile one day was knackered but not with the hip, did have lots of sit downs though.

Went through all the emotions, even grieving for the bit they took away, cried loads, two steps forward one back, the lot. 

But my quality of life has totally changed. If you need it, get it done, I feel absolutely great.

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Congratulations Lynn!  I'm 7 months post op and feel very good also.  It has been a difficult emotional journey, but worth it in the end.  Wishing you wellsmile

• Posted

Lynn,

Thathe is most definitely an anniversary worth celebration 🎉🍾🎉

The progress in the first few weeks most definitely feels "inch worm" like! The small wins are what keep us going through the first few weeks.

Many thanks again for your posts!

• Posted

Thank you kristen,

Certainly does, you feel like it will take for ever but it soon passes.

• Posted

Hi Lynn cheesygrin

Almost one year for me too, March 3rd is my hippy anniversary.  Me and Lynn had ours done within a week or two of each other.

I have never regretted saying goodbye to my cranky old hip.  As Lynn says, the journey is up and down but if I needed the other one done I wouldn't hesitate.  I'm not getting the annual checks.  After my 8 month check I was discharged and that's that as far as I know.  I suppose every health region has different procedures.  

I still feel a tiny bit bruised over the scar area and would be interested to know if anyone at a similar stage feels the same.   I wouldn't say I walk anywhere near as far as Lynn but I'm back playing bowls several times a week, no limping and no sleepless nights. 

Good luck to anyone in the early stages of recovery and if you're waiting for the op don't worry.

Cels x

• Posted

Hi Cels,

Yeah we are hippy buddies and the help from each other and the forum helped us both.

I still have sleepless nights but it's nothing to do with my hip thankfully.

Next friday for you Cels x

• Posted

Congratulations Lynn. I'm so happy for you. Keep enjoying your pain Free Life.

Carrie😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.