One year post bilateral hip replacements -45 years

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there,

I just wanted to offer a bit of inspiration to those who are on the start of their hippie journey. I had bilateral hip replacements a year ago, I'm 45 so a young un as the consultants would say..

Anyway, I've just done a HIIT session and managed to squat, widen my hips, brinv my knees up and all sorts of lovely movements I hadn't been able to do for years. Last weekend I managed to get a wetsuit on without holding onto someone, went snorkelling because I felt confident I'd be able to get on and off the boat and am now learning breaststroke legs in adult swimming lessons, something I have never ever managed. These may seem daft wee achievements but to me they mean the op was worth it, I can live a more active life with my kids without any pain killers.  

I am still the same person, I still lack motivation, worry that I might fall when hillwalking but it takes time to see yourself as having working fully functioning hips and changing my mentality. I no longer define myself or describe myself in terms of my osteoarthritis which is the loveliest part of it all. Best luck to everyone. I know this forum helped me soo much in my early days x 

10 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing!  I am 39 with a labral tear and advanced OA in my right hip.  I have recently developed pain in my left hip.  It is very encouraging to hear your story.  
  • Posted

How lovely to read such a positive post! As a new hippie I have read some really encouraging things on the forum, and I'm very glad to have found it. confused

• Posted

Hi Piccolapie, just curious if you have any theories on why you developed bilateral OA at a young age.  Most orthopedists I saw were surprised, but they said sometimes it happens.  One orthopedist noted moderate FAI and mild dysplasia in both hips.  I consulted with a rheumatologist.  All the bloodwork was negative.  I am waiting on a few more tests.  
    • Posted

Hi there, I was a prem twin so I've always assumed it was something to do with that. My twin also has OA in her hips. Consultants never really gave me a hint as to why we had it. . .

• Posted

Had pain for 20 years but only diagnosed as OA after 10 years.
  • Posted

hi sheila,

so good to see you back and how great you are doing !!!!  kudos for persevering -

those are BIG achievements and victories - are you kidding me ?

You have come a long way, baby  - so glad to see how you enjoy and embrace life like never before !!!

thank you for sharing

big warm hig

renee

• Posted

Well done! It's great to hear some positive news.

• Posted

Good to read this.....

This forum was inspirational at the time of my hip op, and I still dip in from time to time.

Doing synergy 360/HIIT in the gym, improving my Parkrun 5Km times, and 10 mile walks on Dartmoir raising money for Dementia...things simply not possible for this 73 yo before the THR operation some years on from Birmingham hip on other side.

Yes, things can go wrong, but also can go very right, indeed marvellously right, too.

Go well, stay well

Mic

• Posted

good to see you here, big guy ... and so happy for you how well you are doing !!!

you must be in excellent shape right now - I still remember how proud you were that you could put on your pants standing up !!!  ( I hope that was you cheesygrin)

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hello Renee!

Just put trousers on again today too

Bug hug

Mic

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your encouraging post. I am scheduled for a bilatteral THR on 9/29.  I am 54 and have had increasing pain over the past 6 months.  I started noticing tight hip flexors about 6 years ago, and struggeled have with pain but did not have an MRI until  January of this year.  The DR. said the options were slim, and THR would give me  the best outcome opposed to injections which would only stave of the inevetable. I have been an athlete all my life and after have 5 children back to back in my 30’s. I guess my hips have just had enough.  I am having the new Superior Direct Antierior approach. This approach is an anterior surgery with no restrictions after surgery.  I am still not sure what to expect regarding recovery.  Can you give me a brief overview on your first few weeks home.

Thank you for your input.

California Karina 

• Posted

Hi Karina,

I'm in Scotland so post op care may be different! They got me up pretty much as soon as they could the day after the op and I went home after 5 days- they wanted to ensure I could go up/down steps with crutches. 

The first few weeks are exhausting tbh, I had a family member help me for a few days as it's slow progress initially. After 2 weeks I went to my local heated salt water open air pool and that was such a boost, my wound was healing fine and this helped me feel less frustrated.  I didn't have any Physio post op once I was home just a Physio sheet with exercises but I did get Physio 4 months down the line as one side wasn't as strong as the other but if you are an athlete you will have a strong core and that is key to helping you recover. I loved being able to sleep again after years of not being able to but did sleep propped up with a pillow underneath my knees initially until I felt able to turn over. Having everything you need either by your bed or your day bed (I raised my sofa which is quite firm so rested there in the day) makes life easier. Ask away any other questions. I don't regret having both done at the same time and I had a great recovery. Best wishes Sheila 

• Posted

Hi thank you for your encouragement.  I am scheduled for a bilateral THR on 9/29.  I am new to the blog and am looking for confirmation that doing 2 hips at the same time is sane! My Dr is doing the Superior Direct Anterior approach, which has no restrictions after surgery. I have met with 2 other Orthos and neither of them do this approach.  I am 53 and have been an athlete most of my life,  I have hip dyplasia and would ave hneeded this done sooer or later regadless of how hard I played.  The cartilage is just gone, and I am in a lot of pain, advil helps but I am ready to get this over, or is surgery just the beginning?  Because I have have 4 boys still in school I am wondering realistically how long I am going to need to plan for help, driving kids to school, football practice, soccer, swimming and the list goes on.  My Dr. Jason Snibbe  did not ever discuss the option of doing one side at a time.  I go in for my per opt on Friday and am still wondering about the recovery? Can you tell me about your first two weeks, and do you know about the Superior Direct approach?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.