One year post op rotator cuff with bicep tears.

Posted , 3 users are following.

One year post op. Two of each: rotator cuff tears, bicep tears and tears under my armpit. Arthrex Speed Bridge put in. Limited Physical Therapy.

I know. PT is and was important. 6 sessions in and I felt a “pop “ “rip” and burn during session 6. Girl insisted I was o.k. Told me, in a rude (I know everything) comment (in front of other patients) that my implant will dissolve. NO. There was no more discussions. I was sore, hurting and frustrated. I also found out that doing PT only 18 hrs after extensive outpatient surgery was too soon according to Arthrex. PT was going well till session 6.  Session 1 started only 18 hrs post op. Even changed my dressing. That in itself scared me. No gloves and ripped it off. Wow! I worked in the medical field for 40 yrs. Unheard of technique. I complained till she went and got gloves on. That set our relationship in a down spiral. So, I contacted a friend who is a retired Chiropractor. He gave me exercises and instructions. My husband did my arm lifts. 

Now, I have ongoing “lift” problems. It feels like I can’t maneuver my arm like I should be able to do. Feels limited. Almost like the implant is restricting me. Now, I have elbow and hand pain, spasms and cramps, numbness there. One spot next to my scar is very painful (screw area?) and warm. My arm tendons are tight. I don’t think I have rotator issues but it’s bicep issues. 

Anyone’s thoughts on this? I don’t want to go back to doctor just yet but I may have to as it’s getting worse. I’ve been slathering the area with Volaren Gel and it helps.

Thanks for your input.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you decide to go back to the doctor, I would find a new one. No way should you have started PT that soon, and your PT person sounds like she should be fired.
  • Posted

Sounds like an absolute nightmare. One thing that I would say to you in my personal opinion, do not go back to that same doctor. I don’t think you got a surgeon that was very well-qualified. I would do research I would go out of town and get a top rated surgeon to look at you. 
    • Posted

I’m stuck because no other doctor will touch me. The other Ortho doctor around here misdiagnosed me the first time. So, I’m stuck. I’m afraid to go into my surgeon. They like or love to redo. Not again. Will have to live with this, I think. 
  • Posted

What a nightmare.  I went through something similar (see my posts I don't want to re-write).  Choices you have may include a return to the ortho surgeon for re-eval.; traveling outside of your area to get another opinion; living with what has been done to you.  Personally, I would not tolerate this and I did not.  I reported the PT.  My surgeon did work with me, and he did revise the surgery five months later to repair the damage caused by PT and to fix something else that he noticed did not hold after the first surgery.  I did not pay one penny for the revision surgery nor did I pay any co-pay for my second round of PT with a different PT who works for the hospital.

After my experience and reading most of the RC surgery posts on this page the medical field does not want to hear about their (potential) failures.  We as patients must stand our ground and insist on revisions after botched surgeries or PT harm.  I was not combative with my surgeon.  He is younger (35) but outstanding, and he has traveled all over the world, i.e., he has an exceptional experience level.  He knew something was wrong after the original surgery, but he would not acknowledge it.  My original PT knew something was wrong after the original surgery.  He acknowledged it, but he refused to confer with the surgeon.  That drove me nuts.  Had the PT not ripped one of the repairs off its anchor I would have been stuck with a useless left arm and shoulder.  

Choices, sort through your issues and start creating your action plan.  You and your insurance company spent a lot of money on this surgery and rehab.  Maybe you need to speak to your insurance company for suggestions.

I feel your pain, discomfort, and frustrations.  Take care and GOOD LUCK!!

• Posted

If you hear a "pop" and can no longer lift... a suture has ruptured, and your tendon has re-torn which needs to be re-repaired.  Document all your issues and document all the communications you have had with PT; surgeon and his staff; and do discuss with your insurance company (and document the discussions).  You deserve to be made whole again.  GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Wow! You are so kind. I’m so scared to go to see my surgeon. I missed my last appt with him due to family issues with my parents. Trying to reschedule was impossible due to the time of year down here(aka: Season). 

My repair scar has a constant bruise. It’s baffling. Just in one painful area.  Maybe it’s where the implant screw is? My shoulder is deformed where the incision is. Looks weird. I’ve got about 80% usage. Again, I’m scared and don’t want ANY surgery. Redo, whatever. Too long and painful recovery. Wish I never had it to begin with. I also suffer from cervical neuropathy. I have hardware in my neck, too. This just adds to my problem.

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I will mull this info around and maybe muster up the courage to go and talk with my doctor.

• Posted

Constant bruise means you are bleeding somewhere.  Another reason to visit with the \surgeon and to seek another opinion from a doctor not associated with the surgeon who did the repair.  Print off your post and carry it in with you when you go to see the doctor.  HAVE COURAGE.  It's your body, not the doctor's or the pt's... you have rights.  GOOD LUCK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.