One year post PKR and renewed pain at the site of implant

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's one year ago since my partial knee replacement. I work as an SEN support assistant and occasionally I have to go on school trips.

These trips are very physically demanding and require a lot of walking, going up & down stairs and long periods of standing around.

I have made a really good and speedy recovery with no problems at all since my surgery!

However, following two schools trips I am now in pain at the site of my implant and was wondering if anyone out there has experienced a similar experience?

Should I see my surgeon about that issue or GP?

Let me know your thoughts and experiences plz. Thanks 😃

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also had a pnr in Jan of this year. I was having issues with pain as well. After 2 visits and a cat scan they found a loose piece of cement. This would cause my leg to freeze up in extreme pain. I would go at least have it xrayed. Maybe even a scan. I wonder if we will ever be able to do the things we did before.

• Posted

Thanking you for your reply. It was very helpful. Unfortunately I doubt whether we will be able to do things we used to. I know I can no longer run or kneel any longer as I have PKR on both knees.

• Posted

Did you need to have revision surgery for the loose piece of cement?

• Posted

Good luck with you revision surgery. Be strong and stay positive 😃)

• Posted

I had my x-ray today but there was no evidence of anything wrong. They said everything was in place regarding the implant.

However, I am still experiencing pain in my knee! 😦

• Posted

Hi

I had PKR 3 years ago. Had very good recovery etc.

For the most part I am still doing good. The only thing is if I over do it in any way ( lots of walking carrying grandkids, up and down stairs carrying heavy things /and /or grandkids.) I will have sort of a flair up. It could be pain or just a feeling of something not being right in the knee. At that point I will take a ibuprofen, try to stop doing what I have been doing. I still even ice at times . ( I don't have grandkids all the time ).

Within few days It all seems to go back.

Bottom line though is I recognize that overly aggressive things will make the knee act up. I too used to be a runner and know I am happy that I can just go out and get my walking in. It is difficult as I enjoy being active and busy. I have a business so am always on the go.

My biggest concern really is that people say that a PKR always ends up being a TKR. So if there is any thruth to that I try to baby the knee as much as possible for the longevity . How are your thoughts on that? I see you have had both knees PKR's. My other knee would not be a candidate for a PKR.

Anyway just take it easy and pull the ice out again!

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.