One year post TKR still having pain when driving

Posted , 4 users are following.

I can now walk in excess of 10k daily I do feel some aching if I do too much and have to ice. BUT my main problem is I experience real pain when driving any distance on the right of the front on my knee.  I have had an X-ray which shows my knee is in place and all is AOK, so what can it be and how can I get rid of it.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My Drs tell me to get out of my car and stretch my knees every 1.5 hours max for at least 10 minutes. Do you know how much times that adds unto a 1,000 mile drive?

They also have wraps you can place ice packs in and walk or drive with.

• Posted

Hey Ellen,

Doesnt happen for me and i am 20 months out. Does happen to my brother in law. He got a small pool noodle and lets his knee rest on it. Doesnt interfere with driving. He isnt a year out yet. He drove from Florida Keys to Texas and did ok. Prior to that, 100miles hurt! So position change is important as well as movement to prevent blood clots. Hope it helpful.

AuntE G smile

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Not sure what a pool noodle is, but if I can get one here in England I will. Could you describe what it is for me.  Great news that you don’t have problems.
  • Posted

A pool noodle is one of those foam swimming aids...around 4" diameter & 4ft in length. They use them in aqua aerobics classes. I wear a thin knee support band (on Amazon for around £9 per pair)...find it good. Kim

• Posted

Thank Kim I will try that out. Its so depressing. I have problems with my left knee and changed my car to an automatic, but that doesn’t help my right knee ☹️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.