One year Surgery anniversary

Posted , 7 users are following.

One year! I can honestly say this was the worst experience of my life. My shoulder is better but aches at times and after I lay on it for a bit. I had a mini rant in facebook today, because a year ago I said I've got this. I in no way "had" this.All the pain, tears frustration in the last year is enough for anyone, and I know you all know that. I had no clue because my doctor never told me what recovery entailed. I never once "had this". LOL

And finally, some advice for new people, do not over use your surgical arm. If you read this before surgery try and strengthen your non surgical arm. I am having surgery again this time on my wrist in two weeks, because I overused my left arm protecting my right arm. I've torn a tendon.

The good thing, is I'm not scared, I've lived through shoulder surgery, how bad can wrist surgery be?!?!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Fortunately not as bad as shoulder surgery (so I hear). I don't know why doctors don't tell you what to expect. It's weird. Is it because we don't ask? 

• Posted

Congratulations!  You made it!!!!

Just wondering how your function is.  I am almost 4 months post op.  I can raise my arm above my head, without assistance, when lieing down or sitting down but when standing, only shoulder height.  Did you experience this?   My PT tells me that all the mechanics of the shoulder are working, and it's now a matter of building strength.  I hope that's true.  I would  hate to think I went through  all this and not have better function.  

Good luck on your wrist surgery.  I  have had  several doctors and my PT tell me that shoulder surgery literally is the worse orthopedic surgery there is, as far as recovery.  So now your wrist., well....you got this smile

• Posted

I have pretty much full ROM. It's a little tight putting my arm behind my back, but that is getting better.You are still early, be patient.

• Posted

Do u regret surgery ?
    • Posted

That is a hard one. I think my shoulder is better, I regret not being more informed. It wasn't until I came here and read the posts that I finally knew what to expect. This board is a wonderful place to read and lots of nice people that have been through it that can help. So I guess my answer is no I don't regret it. I don't think I would redo it or do the other arm though.

• Posted

Agreed, my rotator cuff surgery was brutal. Will be one year for me on July 29th.  I did ask my surgeon what to expect and he explained very little in what to expect. Especially how long I would have had to suffer with pain. He also never told me I wouldn't have full recovery, he now says maybe 85 %. I am now seeing a sports doctor and a chiropractor to help me get more range of motion and less pain. I have also developed a sore itching feeling in my shoulder blades, tendonopothy, I guess? Anyone else experience this?

• Posted

That sore itchy feeling might just be inflammation possibly something else. I would mention it to my doctor.  I think that I read in one of these threads about a woman who had fluid build up or something. 

I don't regret my surgery but would do anything not to have to do it again. I had a cleanup/decompression surgery on my left shoulder 10 years ago and felt better & recovered very quickly.

I thought that this would be the same. I didn't know that there were many different kinds of surgery or that I would be in pain months later.

But...My daughter gave birth before  a week before my surgery and I couldn't pick the newborn baby up, now in week 7 I can use my surgery arm to support my grandson when I pick him up. I still have pain on a bad day, usually after I try to be diligent about my exercises. It's worse pain when I'm having a bad day, but it's a different pain. Progress is gradual but every time I can lift my arm a little higher or reach for something without pain is a victory. 

• Posted

Congratulations. I'm your surgery twin. 13 mos today. Still achy in bicep and neck but slowly easing. I'll live with it. I'm still being careful. I agree, I had no idea that this would take so long. I remember the pre-op nurse saying " you have a rough 12 weeks ahead" but before I could respond "what?" she knocked me out! Good luck with your wrist. I don't have too much news to post other than telling others that it does take longer than you expect. It doesn't mean something's wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.