One Year TKR Checkup

Posted , 11 users are following.

OK...so it's really over 13 months but the guy was busy...lots of "installation" work on his plate.

From the Doc:

- Perfect ROM ( 0 / +135 ).  Told him I wanted 140; he was skeptical that the number could be attained with the artificial joint.  Guess I'll never sit back on my heels again (that's 161).

- Perfect alignment, no wobbles, scar healed.

- Cautions: No running, treadmills (elliptical only), skiing, HOCKEY (no kidding).  Stay away from anything that causes impact to the knee...like twisting, jumping and landing hard playing basketball.  I posted a list previously...he concurred.

- Clicking, popping clunking...  Bad news campers...probably permanent.  His exact words: "What do you expect?  It's metal on plastic!".  It may quiet down but I don't expect it to...neither should you.  Small price to pay for walking without pain.

- Not happy with my quads but understood the condition because of my stenosis midway through the recovery plus the recent spine surgery.  Told me to hit the gym as soon as I get clearance from the neurosurgeon.  

- Looking forward to seeing me again as soon as I need the other one replaced...I'm not...but it is inevitable...

From me...

Most of you know that I've had 28 surgeries (mostly minor) in the past 17 years including a hip replacement and back fusion.  The knee was the absolute worst in terms of pain and recovery time.  If you've gotten past the year mark, you can look back and remember the times you thought you'd never survive it, begged for the pain to stop, wanted to kill your PT sadist, wonder if you would ever be whole again.  Guess what?

You CAN'T be whole again!  Your original knee is gone, goodbye.  But what you have in your body is a miracle of science that will allow you to live a decent life again, one with new horizons, new challenges, new skills to master...one without pain.  It takes a long time to get here...like a whole year.  Expect it...if you do it quicker then count your blessings.  Most of us really struggle with this but find strength we didn't know we had. 

For me, I still have all that rehab work to do in the gym once I get past the spine issues.  Get to the gym and kick some serious a$$... I'm getting anxious to start again...another month should do it.  Targeting September for a full recovery.  Who knows...maybe a gentle glide on some new blades...

Keep the faith, brothers and sisters.  We live to fight another day!!!

3 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Congratulations! Nice to hear about your landmark visit! When I hear the cluncking in my knee it encourages me...sounds like a train and makes me feel strong! Also sound so much better than the sounds which used to come from my knee!
    • Posted

I like my clunking its a far better noise than the grinding pre-op !!
    • Posted

Yes, the VERY slight click I hear (or feel) from time to time is way better that all the ligaments or whatever it is pinging on each step with the other knee, along with the crunches etc.
  • Posted

Well done my boy. Good positive thoughts. Mind over matter really.  

Piece of cake.

who am I kidding.

but at least I can look forward to pedalling my bicycle and a little golf . . . Oh and running up and down stairs with the grandkids.

good luck to all on this journey.

Mike

• Posted

Congratulations! Most of us havent had the long  journey you've had. Its encouraging.  

• Posted

Thank you Chico! I'm 3 months post bilateral so I've got a ways to go but you give me hope! I just need more patience!! Good luck with your next replacement. Personally I don't know how people go through this process again. I'd probably go to my grave with one bad knee! I hope your second one is a little easier!!?? Keep us posted.??🙏

• Posted

That is wonderful news Chico! Keep up the good work. Hope I can attain what you have done after a year. I have a band or ligament that snaps behind my knee and is so annoying. Hope that is not the clicking, popping noise you are talking about. I am hoping that will stop over time. You have gone through so many surgeries and are an inspiration to us all. Stay well, enjoy life, and be happy! Best regards, Dolores
  • Posted

Elliptical vs. treadmill.  The treadmill is ok if you use it like you're out walking on the street.  No jogging or running...that's all impact stuff.  The elliptical is like a circular motion machine, no stress on the knee because you're not impacting your foot on the ground causing the jolt to the knee.  The elliptical tests your ROM because it makes the knee move from straight to bent with no impact.

Thanks for all the support...still not done because of the spine but I'll get there...  Just more hardware for the TSA to scan at the airport... 

• Posted

That makes sense Chico:-)  Yes, you WILL get there:-))))  Million Dollar Man:-)))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.