Ongoing cough for 4 years, blood clots in lungs.

Posted , 3 users are following.

After numerous GP visits after a year diagnosed with multiple blood clots in both lungs. After several bouts of bronchitis, have been seen twice this year at Chest clinic. Now got "non asthmatic eosonophilic bronchitis". Streroids given last year gave me symptoms of DVT although Consultant today said was incorrect although Haematologist said it was the cause!! Have been advised to take a different inhaler (not available at pharmacy yet) as antibiotics do not help. Has anyone got this NAEB and how is it being treated? I dont want any more clots as had twice in same leg in the past also.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why don't they have you on blood thinners? I've seen antibiotics and inhalers but no thinners. Seems like they are what's needed to rid you of the blood clots.

• Posted

I was on blood thinners for 6 months after the clots, and when I had the scare last year I had to self inject Heparin as a precaution.  The Haematologist said I have another clot I will be on Warfarin (or equivalent) for life.  Today in the clinic I do not have asthma in the true sense, but have scar tissue from the clots, which gives me chest pain on deep breathing.  
    • Posted

Have blood clots again so am on blood thinners for life. Now got yet another hacking cough, at a loss what to take, impossible to get GP appointment before Easter, probably none for 2-3 weeks knowing our practice.
    • Posted

Hi cathy my mum has just been diagnosed with blood clots on both lungs I am very scared as I don’t know much about living with clots and my mum is scared two 

Since being discharged from hospital my mum has been coughing not continues but often could u let me know if you think this is normal.

• Posted

Margaret I have been coughing since we have had smokers living next door, both previous (2 years) and current (3 years) tenants smoked/smoke as close to our door as possible as they knew/know it affects me. Added "bonus" current one drops the still lighted butts over our fence into our garden! A next door but one neighbour has had a succession of smokers next door and has been coughing for years but no apparent reason according to her GP! Smoke, perfumes, cold wet and windy weather all affect my quality of life. Last time I had clots I could barely breathe and walk, face went waxy and lips had a blue tinge, as several GPs kept misdiagnosing me with a virus for months, this time although caught earlier, I still struggle to carry on normal life as I think it was caused by inactivity originally caused by a bad bout of bronchitis-?? This current hacking cough is now a chest infection! After last episode I was told I had chronic bronchitis after still coughing for months, so it comes back usually twice a year at least. On inhaler twice daily, rescue inhaler when needed.

I would hazard a guess, although not a medical opinion, that coughing is normal until the lungs heal, which will depend on how many clots there are to disperse. If this is her first episode then it should not take too long although she should avoid any "triggers" which will make her cough and affect lungs healing.

It is quite a shock to get clots but concentrate on what she can do not what she cannot and take it a day at a time, then a week. It will get better and I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.