ongoing cough for nearly five weeks not getting any better

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had a cough now for going on five weeks I have a history of bronchitis and havent had a bad bout for four years. this time although its the same constant cough i have with bronchitis it doesnt feel tight although im struggling to put a sentence together. also i keep bringing up mucus sometimes clear other times white and sticky please excuse the description but i feel its the mucus that is irritating the lining of my air way tubes I am going back to the docs tomorrow but does anyone else have this please im getting at my wits end  now 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have also been on propanalol which apparently can increase the symptoms of cough i have cut right down on which i then have the racing heart and palps again 
  • Posted

Hi Sue, how old please? Also, have you had a baseline x-Ray of your lungs? Are you on any medication that would exacerbate the symptoms of a cough like bp or heart medicine? The cough you're describing doesn't sound good but without knowing your medical history it's hard to say what's causing it. Are you on any medication, and if so which ones?

• Posted

Had a chest xray which was clear and been on iv anti biotics and oral antibiotics with steroids my chest sounds clear I have been on propranolol which I have reduced my self and canderstartin for bp
  • Posted

Go see your doctor if it lasts a few more weeks. It's most likely just allergies or something like that but you won't have peace of mind until you have an exam.

• Posted

Blood,pressure meds tend to do this. Speak to your doctor.
    • Posted

I am having a review in Jan about bp medication Lisa I have asked to reduce them xx
  • Posted

dear sue, i wrote sometime back about my coughing bouts that lasted more than 3 months, still have them.....its mostly triggered by dry throat but i also have phlegm ie chest congestion. Its awful for me. I took a course of antibiotics, and anti-allergy when warm salt water gargling and cough syrups didnt help.

i take bp meds too regularly. Cant stop or downsize them.

Now i crush raw garlic cloves, wait for it for 10 minutes, then i swallow with water like pills, sometimes i put them in the hot, salt water gargle.

i chew on cardamon to keep my throat wet.

• Posted

Thank you I tend to bring up mucous phlegm quite a lot I am now on lanzoprazol for my stomach I think the mucous/phlegm comes from the stomach I will try the garlic and cardamon thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.