Ongoing episcleritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, I'm 33 and have had several bouts of episcleritis in my left eye for the past 18 months now and I have only been to the doctor once for them to confirm it is that.

My last bout started at the end of May when my house almost flooded. It then started to disappear until I had to take my mum to the hospital and then it returned like a thief in the night.

After reading lots of forums I think that stress is a huge factor for my condition along with diet. I'm currently not eating as much meat as I used too but I think I'm going to start taking more vitamins and also look at trying to control my stress. 

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this. I hate having it as people comment and It annoys me so I think worrying about what people are thinking when they talk to me also doesn't help with stress.

I also won't take anything over the counter for my eye as I feel it'll just make it worse. It's about treating the cause, not the symptoms.

I also suffer from athletes foot and gum disease so I know there is another underlying problem here that needs to be addressed. I have also suffered from blepharitis in the past too.

So I'm going to address my diet, I do exercise regularly anyway, look at some vitamin supplements and also look at addressing my stress levels.

Any help would be much appreciated, ironically it's starting to get me down.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have episcleritis since year 2013. The recent flare up was in may this year. I am still under oral steroid therapy. But tapering down now. Another 10 more days to go. Yes, steroid the only medication that help in my condition. Of course there are other immune suppressant medicine your eye doctor might recommend but so far steroid work best.

I am not aware initially that episcleritis has no known cure. Steroid can only put you in remission. My left eye redness almost gone.

I still need to follow up eye exam with my dr. He will then decide to put me off steroid and eye drop altogether.

I am all this while taking supplements for my eye. I even wash my eyelid with eyelid wipes day and night. I do all it takes looking after my eyes good. Yet i still get epi. Worse is you never know when the next flare up going to be. No prevention. I am not here to scare you but is happening to me. Aahh! I am sad.

I hope your condition is not serious. Everyone is different. All the very best to you. Take care.

• Posted

HI Karen,

You haven't scared me don't worry.. I know this is something that won't just disappear and no doubt will come back again.

I even read that garlic doesn't help epi and I eat quite a lot of garlic and the other night after a very garlicky meal my eye was very ready the day! Maybe its a coincidence.

I'm sorry to hear that you have it too and I hope that it gets better. It's great that you also have good eye care which is something I don't do. 

Wbat supplements do you take?

I'm looking at vitamin c, omega 3..but not sure what else. I've heard about turmeric too.

• Posted

Hi 

Sorry  I do not get your name.   

Yes, I heard of turmeric does help reduce inflammation.   I am going to try  it after my consultation with my eye dr.   Presently I am taking Ocumin Ared supplement for eye,  drink butterfly pea tea daily. 

For general health, I take EPO with fish oil, milk thistles and dandelion, red yeast, pro biotic, and etc.

I exercise a lot about 3.5 hrs daily doing cardio, HIIT, strength training and core ab mix.   Watch my diet also.   As we age we need to look  after our good health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.