ongoing GTPS - help?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all. I've had GTPS for about 3yrs-started getting pain all down my right side from hip outer thigh,knee, calf especially when resting. Had several blind steroid injections, helped a little. Had a guided ultrasound steroid injection at various points in right hip & lateral right knee where fluid was found on ultrasound got 100% relief for a couple of months but it took my local healthcare provider  3mths to organize physio by which time i was only able to attend 2 sessions as the pain had come back to a 9/10 level. it wakes me every night several times causing broken sleep & lots of tossing & turning to get away from the pain. Its like deep bone pain is how i would describe it.

I had another guided ultrasound steroid injection 3wks ago, & was hoping for the same relief i got last year from the 1st time i had it done. i was injected at several points in the right hip again, but not the outer knee as the consultant said he could not see any fluid there this time.  The pain  relief has not been the same this time & again i am still tossing & turning being woken several times a night with the pain all down the right side. I am now also getting minor pain down the left side which the consultant said often happens in GTPS due to the body compensating for the bad side. Also since this injection, the pain in the right lateral knee is worse???

I had my first physio appt yesterday since this latest injection. He said the knee pain indicates inflammation with the ITB(iliotal band) & generally all the pain is related to the gluteus muscles & tendons. He has given me some exercises to do & i see him again in 4wks. He also said it can take upto 8wks for steroid injections to give relief/settle down, but as I got 100% relief straight away the 1st time last year, i feel disappointed & worried I will not get any relief this time.....He also said GTPS is often something that doesnt go away & is often dealt with by managing pain as surgical procedures do not give good outcomes mostly. I cannot take any anti inflammatory meds as i also have colitis so pain relief is limited for me. I've tried turmeric, but it gave me acid reflux!!!

I would like to hear from anyone with similar experiences , any comments/advice greatly welcomed.

Thankyou in advance. xx

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.